1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtons Laws Question: Finding acceleration and direction of movement

1. Dec 18, 2008 #1
    1. The only force on a 5.0 kg object has components Fx= 20N and Fy= 30N

2. Find the acceleration of the object and its direction of movement.

3. I think i'm supposed to somehow use Soh Cah Toa inorder to find something (I don't know what this would help me find). I need to use Sin(theta)= Fx/m. But that would give me the angle measure and not the acceleration.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2008 #2

jgens

Gold Member

Alright, since forces are vector quantities and the forces are acting in perpendicular directions, you can calculate the x and y components of the acceleration. After that it's merely an application of the pythagorean theorem.

For the direction, draw a free body diagram labeling the forces acting on the object and go from there. Hint: you'll need to use SOH-CAH-TOA to find the direction.

4. Dec 18, 2008 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

acorn1290, welcome to PF! Sin theta = Fx/m is not a correct equation, I'm not sure how you arrived at it. Are you familiar with newton's second law? Try applying it in the x direction, and again, independently, in the y direction, and respond with your results.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?