Newtons Laws Question: Finding acceleration and direction of movement

• Thread starter acorn1290
  • Start date
1. The only force on a 5.0 kg object has components Fx= 20N and Fy= 30N

2. Find the acceleration of the object and its direction of movement.

3. I think i'm supposed to somehow use Soh Cah Toa inorder to find something (I don't know what this would help me find). I need to use Sin(theta)= Fx/m. But that would give me the angle measure and not the acceleration.

Answers and Replies

jgens
Gold Member
Alright, since forces are vector quantities and the forces are acting in perpendicular directions, you can calculate the x and y components of the acceleration. After that it's merely an application of the pythagorean theorem.

For the direction, draw a free body diagram labeling the forces acting on the object and go from there. Hint: you'll need to use SOH-CAH-TOA to find the direction.

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
1. The only force on a 5.0 kg object has components Fx= 20N and Fy= 30N

2. Find the acceleration of the object and its direction of movement.

3. I think i'm supposed to somehow use Soh Cah Toa inorder to find something (I don't know what this would help me find). I need to use Sin(theta)= Fx/m. But that would give me the angle measure and not the acceleration.
acorn1290, welcome to PF! Sin theta = Fx/m is not a correct equation, I'm not sure how you arrived at it. Are you familiar with newton's second law? Try applying it in the x direction, and again, independently, in the y direction, and respond with your results.