Newton's Second Law: Car and Rock Problem

In summary: I get it. Thank you!So basically, F(net) = F(eng)+F(air)707N = F(eng) - 1800N707N + 1800N = F(eng)F(eng) = 2507NAnd for the second question I found the angle to be 54 NWIn summary, the first problem involves calculating the force needed by the engine to increase the speed of a car from 120 km/h to 130 km/h in 5.5 s, taking into consideration air resistance. The second problem involves finding the acceleration of a 786 kg rock being towed on a frictionless surface by two perpendicular forces of 45 N and 32 N,
aatari
Member advised that each homework problem requires a separate thread.
Hi Guys, I solved two questions below. Just need some feedback to make sure I solved them correctly. Thanks a bunch.

1. Homework Statement

1. A car of mass 1.4 tonnes (1400 kg) traveling down the highway at 120 km/h has a F air of 1800 N acting against it. What force must be applied by the engine if the car's speed is to increase to 130 km/h in 5.5 s?
  2. A 786 kg rock is being towed on a frictionless surface by a 45 N force acting north. A second force acts at 32 N west. What is the acceleration of the rock? (Note that the forces are not acting directly opposite to one another.)

Homework Equations

Fnet = m.a

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
1.jpg

2.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
aatari said:
Hi Guys, I solved two questions below. Just need some feedback to make sure I solved them correctly. Thanks a bunch.

1. Homework Statement

1. A car of mass 1.4 tonnes (1400 kg) traveling down the highway at 120 km/h has a F air of 1800 N acting against it. What force must be applied by the engine if the car's speed is to increase to 130 km/h in 5.5 s?
  2. A 786 kg rock is being towed on a frictionless surface by a 45 N force acting north. A second force acts at 32 N west. What is the acceleration of the rock? (Note that the forces are not acting directly opposite to one another.)

Homework Equations

Fnet = m.a

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
View attachment 114110

View attachment 114111
In the first problem, you forgot about the air resistance.
In the second problem, you got the magnitude of acceleration, but the acceleration is a vector, you need to give the direction, too.

ehild said:
In the first problem, you forgot about the air resistance.
In the second problem, you got the magnitude of acceleration, but the acceleration is a vector, you need to give the direction, too.
If I take air resistance into consideration, wouldn't this give me Fnet? Whereas we are only interested in Fengine?

For the second question would the direction be NW or WN?

aatari said:
If I take air resistance into consideration, wouldn't this give me Fnet? Whereas we are only interested in Fengine?

For the second question would the direction be NW or WN?

The acceleration is determined by Fnet =ma. Fnet = F(engine)+F(air) and the direction of F(air) opposes the force of the engine.

You have to calculate the angle of the acceleration with respect to North, and it is not 45°.

Likes aatari
ehild said:
The acceleration is determined by Fnet =ma. Fnet = F(engine)+F(air) and the direction of F(air) opposes the force of the engine.

You have to calculate the angle of the acceleration with respect to North, and it is not 45°.
I get it. Thank you!

So basically, F(net) = F(eng)+F(air)
707N = F(eng) - 1800N
707N + 1800N = F(eng)
F(eng) = 2507N

And for the second question I found the angle to be 54 NW

What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the formula F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

How does Newton's Second Law apply to the Car and Rock Problem?

In the Car and Rock Problem, Newton's Second Law can be used to calculate the acceleration of the car as it collides with the rock. The net force on the car is equal to the force applied by the car's brakes to slow down, and the mass of the car is known. Therefore, using the formula F=ma, we can determine the acceleration of the car.

What is the significance of the Car and Rock Problem in understanding Newton's Second Law?

The Car and Rock Problem is a practical example that demonstrates the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration as described by Newton's Second Law. It helps us understand how a change in force or mass can affect the acceleration of an object.

Can Newton's Second Law be applied to other scenarios besides the Car and Rock Problem?

Yes, Newton's Second Law can be applied to any scenario involving the motion of objects. It is a fundamental principle of physics and can be used to analyze and predict the motion of various objects, from cars and rocks to planets and stars.

How does Newton's Second Law relate to the other laws of motion?

Newton's Second Law is often referred to as the "Law of Acceleration" and is closely related to the other two laws of motion. The First Law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The Second Law explains how the motion of an object changes when a force is applied to it. The Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Together, these laws provide a comprehensive understanding of the motion of objects.