1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtons third law, elevator question (free body diagram)

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An elevator containing 3 passengers(with a mass of 72kg 84 kg and 35 kg) has a mass combined of 1030 kg . The cable attached to the elevator exherts an upward force of 12000 N. But the friction opposing the motion of the elevator is 1400 N.

a) Draw a free body diagram for all the forces acting on the elevator.

2. Relevant equations
    Fg=mg

3. The attempt at a solution

Now since net force is greater for upward motion, we can assume the elevator is going up, since gravity + friction is still less than the upward force exherted, so elevator is going up,
    but my question is...in the free body diagram..do i put both friction and force of gravity as a downward force???

Or should i just remove force of gravity and just put force of friction in the freebody diagram as a downward force?

The free body diagram i have in mind is in attachment, and thats what it looks like now....as always you dont need to download attachment to view it.

thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2012 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

I believe you should be drawing both "gravity" and friction - down - but only Applied force up.

The net force is the vector sum of the three real forces - but I am not sure it is generally shown on these diagrams.

Also - you can do MUCH better with the arrows. The applied Force vector should be nearly 9 times as long as the friction Force.
    How does the weight force compare in size?

4. Apr 16, 2012 #3
    well this is not the actual diagram, its not to scale, the actual diagram is done in paper, i just sort of did a quick sloppy version to post here

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook