Newtons third law, elevator question (free body diagram)

In summary: . the weight force on the left is blue, the applied force on the right is red, and the total force is green. so in summary, the weight force is pretty small compared to the applied force.
supernova1203

Homework Statement

An elevator containing 3 passengers(with a mass of 72kg 84 kg and 35 kg) has a mass combined of 1030 kg . The cable attached to the elevator exherts an upward force of 12000 N. But the friction opposing the motion of the elevator is 1400 N.

a) Draw a free body diagram for all the forces acting on the elevator.

Homework Equations

Fg=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Now since net force is greater for upward motion, we can assume the elevator is going up, since gravity + friction is still less than the upward force exherted, so elevator is going up,
but my question is...in the free body diagram..do i put both friction and force of gravity as a downward force?

Or should i just remove force of gravity and just put force of friction in the freebody diagram as a downward force?

The free body diagram i have in mind is in attachment, and that's what it looks like now...as always you don't need to download attachment to view it.

thanks!

Attachments

• Fbd 1.jpg
    Fbd 1.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 797
Physics news on Phys.org
supernova1203 said:

Homework Statement

An elevator containing 3 passengers(with a mass of 72kg 84 kg and 35 kg) has a mass combined of 1030 kg . The cable attached to the elevator exherts an upward force of 12000 N. But the friction opposing the motion of the elevator is 1400 N.

a) Draw a free body diagram for all the forces acting on the elevator.

Homework Equations

Fg=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Now since net force is greater for upward motion, we can assume the elevator is going up, since gravity + friction is still less than the upward force exherted, so elevator is going up,
but my question is...in the free body diagram..do i put both friction and force of gravity as a downward force?

Or should i just remove force of gravity and just put force of friction in the freebody diagram as a downward force?

The free body diagram i have in mind is in attachment, and that's what it looks like now...as always you don't need to download attachment to view it.

thanks!

I believe you should be drawing both "gravity" and friction - down - but only Applied force up.

The net force is the vector sum of the three real forces - but I am not sure it is generally shown on these diagrams.

Also - you can do MUCH better with the arrows. The applied Force vector should be nearly 9 times as long as the friction Force.
How does the weight force compare in size?

well this is not the actual diagram, its not to scale, the actual diagram is done in paper, i just sort of did a quick sloppy version to post here

1. What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert a force back on the first object that is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.

2. How does Newton's Third Law apply to an elevator?

In the context of an elevator, Newton's Third Law applies to the forces acting on the elevator and its occupants. When the elevator accelerates upwards, the floor exerts an upward force on the occupants, while the occupants exert an equal and opposite force on the floor. This allows the elevator to move upwards.

3. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It shows all of the external forces acting on the object, as well as the direction and magnitude of each force. This helps to analyze the motion of the object according to Newton's Laws of Motion.

4. How is a free body diagram used in the elevator question?

In the elevator question, a free body diagram can be used to show the forces acting on the elevator and its occupants. This includes the force of gravity, the normal force from the floor, and the force of tension from the elevator cable. By drawing and analyzing the free body diagram, we can determine the net force and acceleration of the elevator.

5. How does Newton's Third Law contribute to the safety of elevators?

Newton's Third Law is an important principle in the design and operation of elevators. By ensuring that the forces acting on the elevator and its occupants are balanced, Newton's Third Law helps to prevent accidents and ensure the safety of those using the elevator. It also helps to ensure that the elevator moves smoothly and efficiently between floors.