Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra

1. Jul 9, 2006 #1
    Hey guys,

I have read many challenging books in the past, but this supposed "greatest book ever written" is kicking my butt. A lot of things in it make no sense whatsoever. You almost need to read it along with a translation of the many mataphors that Nietzsche likes to use. I would like to start a discussion on this book to help me understand some of the ideas a little better, or maybe find some online notes or a guide. Google results were not enough.

l would also like to hear from anyone who read the book and what they thought of it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2006 #2
    I suggest you read the "Geneology of Morals" and "Beyond Good and Evil" first. Basically he is telling the same thing there as in the Zarathustra book but in a completely different form.

I think the two above mentioned books are much better than the Zarathustra story.

I can imagine that someone who is not familiar with Nietzsche's philosohpies and is picking up the Zarathustra book is going to be completely lost.
    One has to have at least an understanding if not a certain level of agreement with Nietzsche's philosophy to make it worthwhile to read it. Someone who understands but disagrees with his main points will find no philosophy of any value to him there and neither any entertainment, on the contrary he would possibly find nothing but irritation in reading it.

My suggestion on the prefered order in reading Nietzsche work would be:

1. Human all too Human
    2. Geneology of Morals
    3. Beyond good and Evil
    4. Thus spoke Zarathustra
    5. The Gay Science
    6. Twilight of the Idols
    7. The Anti-Christ
    8. the rest of his works

The first book is the most "philosophical" book and spans a very large range of topics. After that he makes a change in focus alomost exclusively towards morality in the next three books. 5 and 6 relate (among many other things) to science and metaphysics.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2006
  4. Jul 9, 2006 #3
    That's me! :wink:

I read it, but I would be lying if I said that I enjoyed it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?