1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Textbook to help me understand eigenvectors and diagonalization

1. Jul 23, 2012 #1
    Hi, I'm currently self-teaching myself some mathematics needed to study physics. I'm working through the book Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Mary L Boas. The book is a well known one, and it's used in many physics programs to teach their math courses.

However, I've read the section on eigenvectors and diagonalization many times, and I still feel like I don't really understand what's going on.

Is there a book (or even better, a free online textbook) where these subjects are explained in a clear way? I don't want a very abstract book destined to math majors, I'd like something written for physics/engineering students.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2012 #2
    Do you know what is causing your confusion?

First off, you could always just look at a pure linear algebra text like Strang, Anton or Lay.

Second, you may want to look at a quantum mechanics book and see those topics in a physical context. A classical mechanics book would also have it when discussing rotational dynamics of rigid bodies.

4. Jul 23, 2012 #3
    The confusion mostly comes from the fact that very few explanation is given in the book, which is a consequence of the vast amount of material covered. Somehow I don't feel like eigenvectors/diagonalization can reastically be exlpained in 5-6 pages.

I'll try to find one of the books you listed at my university's library, thank you.

5. Jul 23, 2012 #4
    Well, what exactly is causing your confusion? How a matrix can be diagonalized, what an eigenvector is, how we find them?

6. Jul 23, 2012 #5
    I understand how to diagonalize, how to find eigenvalues and eigenvectors, but I don't understand what they're used for. I know that the vectors in the first system that are parallel to the eigenvectors will simply be shrunk/extended without being rotated or reflected, but that's pretty much it. What's the point of finding the eigenvectors?

7. Jul 23, 2012 #6
    From what I can tell (speaking from probably about a year more experience than what you have, so there are most likely some details missing), one of the main benefits of diagonalization is it allows you to simplify an operator; instead of having a very messy matrix, you can simplify it greatly and find it's eigenvalues very easily.

Eigenvalues and vectors have a lot of applications. For differential equations, if you have a system of differential equations then you can represent the system through a matrix, and find solutions from the eigenvalues/vectors of the matrix (simplified greatly, but more detail here http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/SolutionsToSystems.aspx)

As for other applications, eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of operators give measurable values in Quantum Mechanics (note that functions are vectors in Quantum, but to understand why takes a little more theoretical understanding of Linear Algebra).

For a more mathematical application, if you have a diagonalizable matrix, you can use eigenvectors to create a basis for the vector space you're working with (and vice versa; they're equivalent) this is nice when working in a new mathematical system. For instance, in quantum we use this to help find all of the possible solutions to the 1-dimensional harmonic oscillator.

8. Jul 24, 2012 #7
    Thanks for the explanations, and for the link. On that website I found paul's notes on eigenvectors and they were much clearer than my book!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook