Nine Months Later - Career Guidance Still Needed More Than Ever

In summary: I'm currently about 2/3 of the way through and it's much more manageable but I'm still struggling. I think my biggest problem is that I'm chasing an idea that's not really there. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to finish.
Eigenvalue, I am sorry for all that you are going through. It sounds as though you are still in the midst of dealing with your emotions regarding all of this- acceptance of loss and change is a task unto itself and takes time. What I mean by this is that you don't have to commit right now to your ideal path. Simply identify the best options available to you in each moment and take small steps. If you do this, you will move closer to your ultimate goal than if you kept your eye on the highest peak and judged yourself against it. I am no expert on anything, heaven knows, but my first thought when reading your account is to consider technical writing as a short term goal. This would allow you to focus on the areas you are interested in, and may help you to become a part of a community. I don't know how much you would earn, but you would be doing relevant work. Your symptoms will likely stabilize as you move out of your twenties, and you will get better at managing your strengths and weaknesses, at any rate. There is time enough for you to reach the place you will happily fit.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Eigenvalue,

Sorry for the late reply. Here is the program I told you about:

Division of Vocational & Rehabilitation Services
New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development

I'm sure they will have an analogous program where you moved.