No bose-Einstein condensate for a 2-d gas, how to prove it?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the grand partition function and mean number of particles per unit area for a 2-dimensional Bose-Einstein ideal gas. It also addresses the question of whether there is a Bose-Einstein condensate for this system. The calculations for the grand partition function and mean number of particles per unit area yield the expression <N>/A = (gmkT/2πħ^2)ln(1/1-z), and taking the limit as T approaches 0 results in <N>/A approaching 0. This suggests that there is no Bose-Einstein condensate for this system. The reason for this is not fully understood and further investigation is needed.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider a 2-dimensional Bose-Einstein ideal gas.
1)Calculate the grand partition function of that system.
2)Calculate the mean number of particles per unit area in function of T and z, the fugacity.
3)Show that there's no Bose-Einstein condensate for this system.

Homework Equations

Several...

The Attempt at a Solution

1)Done.
2)Done. Yielded ##\frac{\langle N \rangle}{A}=\frac{gmkT}{2\pi \hbar ^2} \ln \left ( \frac{1}{1-z} \right )##.
3)I have no idea on how to answer this question.
I guess I would have to calculate the mean number of particles per unit area that are in the ground state (<e>=0) and show that it doesn't "blow up" for any temperature...
Or maybe I could do it simply by using my result obtained in part 2)?

I also took the limit of the expression that I got in part 2), for when T goes to 0. And I reached <N>/A tends to 0. (With a software because I do not know how to tackle that limit which has an undetermined form as 0 times positive infinity).

Thank you for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

I am thinking deeply about it, I still don't understand why there isn't a B-E condensate for a 2-dimensional boson gas.
Is it because the ground state would be macroscopically populated at T=0K, while in the 3-dimensional case this would be true for T>0K? Is that the reason?
I really don't understand what's going on... please help me.

1. What is a Bose-Einstein condensate (BEC)?

A Bose-Einstein condensate is a state of matter that occurs when a group of bosons (particles with integer spin) are cooled to a very low temperature, causing them to lose their individual identities and behave as a single, coherent entity.

2. Can a 2-dimensional gas form a Bose-Einstein condensate?

No, a 2-dimensional gas cannot form a Bose-Einstein condensate. This is because the BEC requires three dimensions in order to achieve the necessary density and interactions between particles. In two dimensions, the particles are too spread out to form the necessary interactions.

3. What evidence supports the lack of BEC in a 2-dimensional gas?

Experimental studies have shown that when a 2-dimensional gas is cooled to a low temperature, it does not exhibit the characteristic behaviors of a BEC, such as superfluidity and coherence of particles.

4. Are there any theoretical explanations for why a 2-dimensional gas cannot form a BEC?

Yes, there are theoretical models that explain why a 2-dimensional gas cannot form a BEC. These models take into account the reduced dimensionality and the effects it has on the interactions between particles.

5. Is there any way to prove conclusively that a 2-dimensional gas cannot form a BEC?

While there is no definitive proof, the current evidence from both experimental and theoretical studies strongly supports the idea that a 2-dimensional gas cannot form a BEC. However, further research and advancements in technology may provide more conclusive evidence in the future.