1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No clue what to do with my life.

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    Hey, I enjoy to do physics, math and work with computers, but all the jobs I know of that consist of these subjects do not intrest me. Maybe there's something I'm missing or something? A job like theoretical physics would intrest me, but how does someone make a living doing something like that? What are some jobs that I should look into?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2012 #2
    What about the academical choice? Higher degrees and so on?

4. Feb 8, 2012 #3
    Sorry, I forgot to mention, I'm hoping to go to university for Physical Sciences.

5. Feb 10, 2012 #4
    I don't think you need to worry too much about that right now. I was the same when I started going to college. A few of us know right from the beginning what we want to do the rest of our lives, but most of us don't. Try to learn something you enjoy in college, and you'll probably be fine. (:

6. Feb 10, 2012 #5

chiro

Science Advisor

First piece of advice that I have to get off my chest: spend a bit of time to research what you are getting yourself into, especially if it is a big decision that will take up a lot of your time and other resources (like money).

Also in conjunction with this, be flexible and if something is telling you to pursue other means, then always listen to this nudging factor. This may seem like a paradoxical piece of advice compared to the first, but even the best set out plans don't turn out the way we envisaged so its important to accept a 'bad turnout' and be ready to move on with things.

Also one final piece of advice: see if you can ask someone that works in a particular job what it is like.

Before the internet, you would probably have to speak to someone face to face to ask them what their job was like, what it entailed, and what 'really' went on as opposed to what is 'publically thought' to be happening (i.e. the truth and not the 'glamour').

Now with the internet, you can ask questions and find things like this out (if people are willing to come clean with you) and tell you what they do so you can get a real idea of what is involved.

Also if you do the above, remember you make the final decision and I hope all goes well.

7. Feb 10, 2012 #6

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I second that. I suggest you study your field of interest say physics but take the introductory electives in other areas such as engineering, chemistry, etc. See what tickles your passions and where your aptitudes lie and what the subjects really entail. Weigh that with your other interests (do you want to try to raise a family on your income? get rich? work for yourself?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook