No. of quadrilaterals in a polygon

  • Thread starter Thread starter zorro
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Polygon
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
zorro
Messages
1,378
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Quadrilaterals are formed by using the vertices of a convex polygon of 24 sides. The number of quadrilaterals having atleast one side of the quadrilateral in common with the side of the polygon is ?


The Attempt at a Solution



We can find out the total no. of quadrilaterals that can be formed and subtract from it the no. of quadrilaterals with no side common to that of the polygon.

24C4 - 12C4 = 10131

I got 12 by choosing alternate vertices.
I don't get the correct answer this way :|
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing here but what about 22C2 per side. You use 2 vertices for one side then you need 2 more to form the rest of the quadrilateral.