No reason that these should give me Alerts

• Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the inclusion of two new threads in the user's alerts list and their confusion as to why they were included. The user also asks how to change their settings to only watch specific topics and not entire forums. They are given instructions on how to manage their watched forums and are informed that some topics they previously chose to watch may still be listed as watched even though they do not appear in the watch threads list. The conversation ends with the user realizing that the reason for the inclusion of the new threads in their alerts list was because they were watching both forums.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
These are two NEW threads or topics which I would never have chosen in any way to be alerted to anything new in them, yet they were included in my Alerts listing today:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/wifi-hotspot-recommendations.972276/
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...als-in-optical-mechanical-engineering.972287/
No reason for them to be shown in the Alerts list. They might be topics I would read but otherwise not respond/LIKE/Watch. Were they given as Alerts because they are new, and that new topics come into every member's Alerts list?

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
We identified in your previous thread that you are watching both forums.
How do I change this so I watch topics but not forums?

symbolipoint said:
How do I change this so I watch topics but not forums?

https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/forums

Click the "manage watched forums" drop down button at the top right. Then click "stop watching all forums".

Greg Bernhardt said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/forums

Click the "manage watched forums" drop down button at the top right. Then click "stop watching all forums".
DONE.

I find that some topics I had chosen to Watch are still being "Watched" according to the button when the topic is opened in view; but still not showing in the Watch Threads list (which was explained to me a few days ago).

Greg Bernhardt said:
We identified in your previous thread that you are watching both forums.
Ah Ha!

So there was a reason of some sort.
:wink:

1. What does "No reason that these should give me Alerts" mean?

"No reason that these should give me Alerts" is a phrase commonly used in scientific research to describe unexpected or surprising results that do not have a clear explanation. It suggests that the results do not align with the expected outcome based on previous knowledge or theories.

2. Why is it important to investigate results that have "No reason that these should give me Alerts"?

Investigating unexpected results is crucial in the scientific process because it can lead to new discoveries and insights. It allows scientists to question existing theories and develop new hypotheses to explain the unexpected findings.

3. What are some possible reasons for "No reason that these should give me Alerts" in research?

There are many potential reasons for unexpected results in research. It could be due to errors or biases in the experimental design, equipment malfunction, or unknown variables that were not accounted for. It could also be a result of a new phenomenon that has not been previously observed or understood.

4. How can scientists address "No reason that these should give me Alerts" in their research?

To address unexpected results, scientists can repeat the experiment, adjust the experimental design, or conduct further investigations to gather more data. They can also collaborate with other researchers to get different perspectives and insights on the results.

5. Can "No reason that these should give me Alerts" ever be a positive outcome in research?

Yes, "No reason that these should give me Alerts" can sometimes lead to positive outcomes in research. It can challenge existing theories and open up new avenues for exploration. It can also result in unexpected discoveries that have practical applications or contribute to scientific knowledge.