No traces in cloud chamber (experimental physics)

In summary: I will try to do better next time. In summary, the setup had problems with the box material, light, and alcohol saturation.
diarized
My setup:
  • plastic box (~1l) with the cover painted black mat
  • the bottom of the box covered with sponges saturated with ethyl alcohol (90%) to the limit (all over sponge capacity poured back to bottle)
  • turned upside down and placed on ~0.5kg of dry ice.
I can see a 'rain' of particles of alcohol, but no traces.

I disassembled smoke detector and attached the sample of americium to the box. No effect.

Here is the 'rain':

Here are some pictures of the setup:
DSC_7875.jpg

DSC_7877.jpg

DSC_7885.jpg

DSC_7888.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
?

diarized said:
  • with ethyl alcohol (90%)

Was it 90% or "90 proof" ?

I've never made one of these (must try sometime), just wonder whether you'd do better to have the light in a different position? Either sideways, or preferably pointed away from the viewer, so that you see only back scattered light. I can see you might have a problem with reflections off the walls of the box, but maybe light entering the side wall aimed (say 30-60o) at the back wall would reflect to the other sidewall, leaving the viewer with no direct light.

This may not explain your lack of traces though, because your eye would probably discriminate much better than the camera and pick out the tracks even against the light.

Plastic may be the issue.
Do you have a metal lid? if not then the plastic box is 'Insulating' your setup. you need to maximise your conductivity thereby increasing your steep temperature gradient. your environment probably isn't supersaturated enough, and I might add, try using methanol, or I.P.A, its usually 99% proof and this does contribute to saturate the chamber environment better.

Good Luck

There are several problems in the installation above. One is that the box is actually not sealed. It would be better to not let exchange gases with the warm air of the room. The second is the box material, as Simon pointed out. The conductivity of plastic makes it long before the vapors inside cool enough. A jar with metal cover is much better.
And last, but not least, the light, as Merlin wrote above should be partially covered to make stronger contrast between the observable area and the rest, witch should be in dark.

Another suspicious was that the 'snow' I am observing are particles of alcohol, that already condensed (that's why they are so visible), but we saw traces in the 'snow', so there are still saturated alcohol that wants to condense.

I am still before getting good enough results, but the next attempts wait for better preparation of the experiment.

Thank you all for the advises.

1. What is a cloud chamber in experimental physics?

A cloud chamber is a device used in experimental physics to visualize and study the paths of charged particles, such as electrons and alpha particles. It consists of a sealed chamber filled with a supersaturated vapor, which condenses into droplets along the paths of the particles, making them visible.

2. How does a cloud chamber work?

A cloud chamber works by creating a supersaturated vapor, typically using dry ice or alcohol, inside a sealed chamber. When a charged particle passes through the vapor, it ionizes the molecules, causing them to condense into droplets and form a visible trail. This allows scientists to study the properties and behavior of the particles.

3. What can be observed in a cloud chamber?

In a cloud chamber, scientists can observe the paths of charged particles, as well as their interactions with other particles and magnetic fields. This allows them to study the properties of these particles, such as their mass, charge, and energy, and to investigate phenomena like radioactive decay and cosmic rays.

4. Why might there be no traces in a cloud chamber?

If there are no traces in a cloud chamber, it could be due to several reasons. The vapor in the chamber may not be supersaturated enough to form droplets, the particles passing through may not be charged, or the particles may not have enough energy to ionize the vapor. Additionally, the chamber may have been improperly prepared or there may be a malfunction with the equipment.

5. How is a cloud chamber used in experimental physics?

A cloud chamber is used in experimental physics to study the behavior and properties of charged particles. By analyzing the paths of these particles, scientists can make observations and measurements that contribute to our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the behavior of the universe.