Cloud Chamber Experiment Help - Identifying Particles

In summary, the conversation discusses a cloud chamber experiment using isopropanol and dry ice, with a weak source of Americium-241. The particles observed were initially thought to be muons, but upon closer observation, they were found to be beta particles from the Americium source. The conversation also mentions the use of shielding in smoke detectors to filter out alpha particles.
Josh_Moore23
Yesterday I decided to carry out a cloud chamber experiment for a school assessment. I used "100%" isopropanol and around 2.5 kg of dry ice. After a wait of approximately 30 minutes, the particle tracks began to appear. I placed a weak source of Americium-241 sourced from a smoke detector (1 μCi) in the chamber, expecting to see some thick alpha particle tracks, but instead got thin and short range tracks. What could these possibly be? Are they secondary particles produced by the small amount of gamma emission from Americium-241? The reason I am having so much difficulty identifying these is that the electrons or positrons have somewhat 'curved' or 'curly' tracks and are much longer. I have attached a video of the tracks, you may need to look closely as they are very small. Any help identifying these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would bet, that it is more likely, that you observed secondary cosmic radiation, mainly muons, rather than Am decays. However, I have to admit, I couldn't see very well from where to where the rays have gone.
Wikipedia says we have a flux of ##100 \;m^{-2}s^{-1}## muons on the ground and that they are hard to shield, due to their high energies. Whereas ##^{241}##Am as used in smoke detectors has a half-life of 432 years. So I put my money on the muons.

fresh_42 said:
I would bet, that it is more likely, that you observed secondary cosmic radiation, mainly muons, rather than Am decays. However, I have to admit, I couldn't see very well from where to where the rays have gone.
Wikipedia says we have a flux of ##100 \;m^{-2}s^{-1}## muons on the ground and that they are hard to shield, due to their high energies. Whereas ##^{241}##Am as used in smoke detectors has a half-life of 432 years. So I put my money on the muons.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I had initially thought that the particles were muons, however the tracks they leave are much longer and straighter. About twenty minutes into the experiment, I observed muons and they were very different to these unknown particles which seem to have originated from the small sample of Americium. Here is an image of what a muon looks like:
ccmuon.jpg

What you see with an Americium button is mainly beta decay, because the alpha particles are being shielded for safety. You can see the effect of shielding by using a Thorium doped welding rod where 1/2 of the length of rod is also encased in typical heat-shrink tubing. From the uncovered end you'll see alphas and betas but from the end covered with heat-shrink you'll only see beta particles. The heat shrink shields the alphas in spite of how thin it is. In most smoke detectors, the Americium cup has a thick back layer as a base which shields alphas and betas while also using a thin front cover to filter out the alphas, so you have a nice source of low energy betas for smoke detection.

Last edited:

1. What is a cloud chamber experiment?

A cloud chamber experiment is a type of particle detector used in physics to identify and study subatomic particles. It consists of a sealed chamber filled with a supersaturated vapor, which creates a visible track when particles pass through it.

2. How does a cloud chamber work?

A cloud chamber works by creating a supersaturated vapor, which is achieved by cooling the chamber with dry ice or liquid nitrogen. When a charged particle passes through the chamber, it ionizes the vapor, causing it to condense into droplets along the particle's path, making it visible to the naked eye.

3. What particles can be identified in a cloud chamber experiment?

A cloud chamber can identify a wide range of subatomic particles, including alpha particles, beta particles, gamma rays, and cosmic rays. It can also detect other charged particles such as electrons, positrons, protons, and neutrons.

4. What is the significance of the cloud chamber experiment in physics?

The cloud chamber experiment has been a crucial tool in the field of particle physics, allowing scientists to discover and study new particles and understand their properties. It has also played a significant role in the development of the Standard Model of particle physics, which describes the fundamental particles and forces in the universe.

5. How can I analyze the particles identified in a cloud chamber experiment?

The particles identified in a cloud chamber experiment can be analyzed by measuring their tracks, including their direction, curvature, and energy. This information can then be used to determine the type of particle and its properties, such as mass and charge.