Noetherian Modules .... Cohn Theorem 2.2 .... ....

In summary, the argument states that if $k = \max \{ i_1, \ldots, i_r \}$, then $N_k$ contains all the $a_j$, and as these elements generate $N$ and $N_k\subset N$, $N_i=N_k=N$.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading P.M. Cohn's book: Introduction to Ring Theory (Springer Undergraduate Mathematics Series) ... ...

I am currently focused on Section 2.2: Chain Conditions ... which deals with Artinian and Noetherian rings and modules ... ...

I need help with understanding an aspect of the proof of Theorem 2.2 ... ...Theorem 2.2 and its proof (including some preliminary relevant definitions) read as follows:
View attachment 8003
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/8004

At the end of the above proof by Cohn we read the following:

" ... ... If \(\displaystyle a_j \in N_{i_j} \) and \(\displaystyle k = \text{ max} \{ i_1, \ ... \ ... \ , i_r \}\), then equality holds in our chain from N_k onwards. ... ... "
Can someone please explain how/why \(\displaystyle a_j \in N_{i_j} \) and \(\displaystyle k = \text{ max} \{ i_1, \ ... \ ... \ , i_r \}\) implies that equality holds in our chain from \(\displaystyle N_k\) onwards. ... ... ?Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

Each $a_j$ is an element of $N=\bigcup N_i$, and therefore an element of some $N_i$, say $N_{i_j}$. If $k = \max \{ i_1, \ldots, i_r \}$, then $N_k$ contains all the $a_j$; as these elements generate $N$ and $N_k\subset N$, we have $N_k=N$.

Now, for any $i\ge k$, we have $N_k=N \subset N_i\subset N$, and therefore $N_i=N_k=N$.

castor28 said:
Hi Peter,

Each $a_j$ is an element of $N=\bigcup N_i$, and therefore an element of some $N_i$, say $N_{i_j}$. If $k = \max \{ i_1, \ldots, i_r \}$, then $N_k$ contains all the $a_j$; as these elements generate $N$ and $N_k\subset N$, we have $N_k=N$.

Now, for any $i\ge k$, we have $N_k=N \subset N_i\subset N$, and therefore $N_i=N_k=N$.
Thanks castor28 ...

Think I follow that argument ...

Just reflecting further to make sure I fully understand ...

Thanks again,

Peter

What is the significance of Noetherian modules?

Noetherian modules are a type of module in abstract algebra that have important properties, such as being finitely generated and satisfying the ascending chain condition for submodules. These properties make Noetherian modules useful in many areas of mathematics and physics, including commutative algebra and algebraic geometry.

What is the Cohn Theorem 2.2?

Cohn Theorem 2.2 is a result in commutative algebra that states that if a ring R is Noetherian, then the polynomial ring R[x] is also Noetherian. This theorem is named after the mathematician Paul Cohn who proved it in 1952.

What are the main applications of Noetherian modules?

Noetherian modules have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are essential in studying commutative rings and algebraic varieties in algebraic geometry. They also play a crucial role in homological algebra and representation theory, as well as in the study of modules over Lie algebras.

Can Noetherian modules be non-finitely generated?

Yes, it is possible for a Noetherian module to be non-finitely generated. This means that the module cannot be generated by a finite set of elements. However, such modules are still considered Noetherian because they satisfy the ascending chain condition for submodules.

What is the relationship between Noetherian modules and Noetherian rings?

Noetherian modules and Noetherian rings are closely related. In fact, a ring is Noetherian if and only if it is a Noetherian module over itself. Additionally, if a ring is Noetherian, then all of its modules are also Noetherian. This relationship makes Noetherian modules a powerful tool for studying Noetherian rings.