Non-Abelian Subgroup Produced by

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Abelian and non-Abelian groups and their subgroups. It is established that an Abelian group is commutative, and the question is posed whether a non-Abelian subgroup can be produced by an Abelian group. It is determined that this can only occur if the subgroup is made up of the inverses of the elements in the group. However, it is also noted that this is only possible if the group itself is non-Abelian.
essie52
This is not a homework question (although the answer will help answer a homework question). I know that a non-Abelian group can have both Abelian and non-Abelian subgroups but can a non-Abelian subgroup be produced by an Abelian group (or must the group be non-Abelian). Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you! E

Physics news on Phys.org
essie52 said:
This is not a homework question (although the answer will help answer a homework question). I know that a non-Abelian group can have both Abelian and non-Abelian subgroups but can a non-Abelian subgroup be produced by an Abelian group (or must the group be non-Abelian). Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you! E

State the definition of abelian. Then tell me how you could think an abelian group could have a nonabelian subgroup.

By Abelian I mean the elements of the group are commutative. For example, Z under multiplication is abelian since (a)(b) = (b)(a). Working backwards from my question, am I correct to say that the only way a non-Abelian group can produce an Abelian subgroup is if the subgroup is made of its inverses? With that reasoning, then a non-abelian subgroup would only be produced by a non-Abelian group.

Z under multiplication isn't a group.

If H is a subgroup of G, and G is abelian, and g and h are elements of H, why is gh=hg always?

Working backwards from my question, am I correct to say that the only way a non-Abelian group can produce an Abelian subgroup is if the subgroup is made of its inverse?

The subgroup is made up of what inverse?

"Z under multiplication isn't a group." Crap. Oops. That's what I get for multi-tasking. Correct, it is not a group (fails inverse test).

What is a non-Abelian subgroup produced by a group?

A non-Abelian subgroup produced by a group is a subgroup that is not commutative, meaning that the order in which elements are multiplied matters. This type of subgroup is often found in groups that are not Abelian themselves.

How is a non-Abelian subgroup produced by a group determined?

A non-Abelian subgroup produced by a group can be determined by identifying elements within the group that do not commute with one another. These elements can then be used to form a subgroup that is non-Abelian.

What are some examples of non-Abelian subgroups produced by groups?

Some examples of non-Abelian subgroups produced by groups include the dihedral group, the quaternion group, and the symmetry group of a cube.

What is the significance of studying non-Abelian subgroups?

Studying non-Abelian subgroups is important in understanding and analyzing the structure and behavior of non-Abelian groups. It also has applications in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer science.

How can non-Abelian subgroups be used in practical applications?

Non-Abelian subgroups can be used in cryptography, specifically in designing secure cryptographic algorithms. They can also be used in physics to describe the symmetries of physical systems.