Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closure of an abelian subgroup

1. Dec 13, 2009 #1
    Ok, this is a really easy question, so I apologise in advance.

Let A be an abelian subgroup of a topological group. I want to show that cl(A) is also.

Now I've shown that cl(A) is a subgroup, that is fairly easy. So I just need to show it is abelian.

For a metric space, it is easy, since we can just write for any two elements h_1 h_2 in cl(H) as

h_1=lim_{i -> infty} (h_1(i))
    h_2=lim_{i -> infty} (h_2(i))

where h_1(i) and h_2(i) are sequences converging too h_1 and h_2 respectively which are in H. Then to find h_1.h_2 we can just multiply the elements of these limits since multiplication is continuous and then we can commute them to deduce that h_1.h_2=h_2.h_1

Can I do something similiar for a general topological group, which is not a metric space? h_1 and h_2 are limit points, if they are not then they are in H anyway and will commute.

Maybe I just need my space to be Hausdorff, so then limits are unique?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2009 #2
    Oh, sorry, its going to be second (which implies first) countability that I will need. That will allow me to write the points as limits. Sorry!

4. Dec 17, 2009 #3
    Yes, you can use convergence of nets (or filters) to do the proof. But, as you note, Hausdorff is required. Indeed, the result is, in general, false in non-Hausdorff topological groups.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook