Non-academic mathematics careers

In summary, the conversation discusses various non-academic mathematics careers, such as industrial mathematics and positions in financial sectors, that involve mathematics and its applications. The American Mathematical Society has a list of career profiles for mathematicians in different sectors, and while there is a wide variety of job opportunities, competition may be high. It is suggested that if one wants to pursue a career in mathematics, they should study it, but if they have other career paths in mind, they should pursue a degree in that field. Some examples of job opportunities for mathematicians include positions in statistics and operations research.
PhysicalAnomaly
Hi,

Out of curiosity, what kinds of non-academic mathematics careers are there?

One I've heard of is industrial mathematics - pure maths is applied to a range of puzzles - and the service is sold as a type of consultation. Has anyone else heard about this and does anyone know of companies that do this?

What other options are there for a PhD or BSc in mathematics?

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicalAnomaly said:
Hi,

Out of curiosity, what kinds of non-academic mathematics careers are there?

One I've heard of is industrial mathematics - pure maths is applied to a range of puzzles - and the service is sold as a type of consultation. Has anyone else heard about this and does anyone know of companies that do this?

What other options are there for a PhD or BSc in mathematics?

The American Maths Society (AMS) has a list of profiles of people in many sectors. They range from actuaries to cryptographers/cryptanalysts to statisticians (many different fields) to financial engineers to all kinds of analytical and modelling (math that is not the catwalk type) positions.

Pretty much anything that can be modeled, torn apart, formulated, hypothesized, conjectured, logically decomposed and in any sense mathematically made use of (ie data/information about anything) involves mathematics and there's quite a bit of jobs out there that fit this.

The link to the American Mathematical Society is http://www.ams.org You can look up career profiles if you navigate accordingly.

Indeed, there is a wide variety, but what are the actual chances of landing such a jobs? Is there a lot of competition for industrial/research/finance/consulting jobs amongst mathematicians? Also, none of the statistics or information on the site actually says how math grads fare against graduates of other fields.

PhysicalAnomaly said:
Indeed, there is a wide variety, but what are the actual chances of landing such a jobs? Is there a lot of competition for industrial/research/finance/consulting jobs amongst mathematicians? Also, none of the statistics or information on the site actually says how math grads fare against graduates of other fields.

Its difficult to land a job when you only have a degree related to it. As of now, financial sectors are not going to hire many math grads because they lost faith in them due to the crisis we have now. Also, why choose you over someone who studied 4 years for the job and knew what they wanted from the start?

Simply put, if you want to do mathematics study it. If you have other jobs in mind, get a degree in that.

Last edited:
PhysicalAnomaly said:

Well I don't know about chances being the latest quant but there are quite a few different areas that employ mathematicians based on their educational experiences and where relevant, experience as an RA or as an intern in a company.

I'm not sure about other countries but australia typically always has demand to fill existing spots for qualified statisticians. They come under many labels and generally require very specific or specialized statistical training, but the positions are there. I'm not sure how this is in other countries though.

I suppose if you look hard enough there's jobs everywhere for the right person. I wouldn't just limit the town/city/state you're in simply for work anyways.

My good friends brother has a physics degree with a math minor, and he works for a retail chain analyzing the time it should take processes and all that. Efficiency Expert I think is his exact title. Makes $75k a year and gave him a car strait out of his undergrad.

That would fit under operations research. I am not sure how big that field is.

1. What non-academic careers are available for mathematicians?

There are many non-academic careers for mathematicians, including data analyst, actuary, financial analyst, operations research analyst, and software engineer. Other options include working in the fields of cryptography, risk management, and market research.

2. Do I need a specific degree to pursue a non-academic mathematics career?

While a degree in mathematics is highly beneficial for pursuing a non-academic career in this field, it is not always necessary. Employers often value strong analytical and problem-solving skills, which can be gained through other degrees such as engineering, economics, or computer science. Additionally, relevant work experience or certifications can also be valuable for securing a non-academic mathematics career.

3. What skills are important for success in a non-academic mathematics career?

In addition to strong analytical and problem-solving skills, successful non-academic mathematicians also possess excellent communication skills, the ability to work well in a team, and proficiency in programming and data analysis software. Adaptability, creativity, and attention to detail are also important traits for success in this field.

4. Is there job growth and stability in non-academic mathematics careers?

Yes, there is significant job growth and stability in non-academic mathematics careers. Many industries, including finance, technology, and healthcare, rely heavily on mathematicians for data analysis and problem-solving. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in mathematical occupations is projected to grow 33% from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations.

5. What are the salary expectations for a non-academic mathematics career?

The salary for a non-academic mathematics career can vary depending on the specific job and industry. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for mathematicians in May 2020 was $93,290. Salaries can range from around $54,000 for entry-level positions to over $150,000 for experienced professionals in high-demand industries.