Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non central potential and energy dependence

1. Mar 23, 2012 #1
    Could anyone tell me where can i find more about the fact that if your Hamiltonian is non-central then the total energy is not dependent only on principle quantum number n but also on l.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2012 #2

cgk

Science Advisor

If your Hamiltonian is not spherically symmetric, then l is not a good quantum number in the first place: If H does not commute with rotations, you cannot find a common eigensystem of H and the L^2 operator[1].

I guess what you mean is "why is the energy dependent on n and l for for spherical potentials which are not 1/r" (i.e., not hydrogen). If this is the case: Because there generally is no reason for all energy to be independent of l. Rather, this degeneracy in the hydrogen atom is a special case for 1/r potentials, ultimately related to a hidden additional conserved symmetry (the so called Runge-Lenz-Vector already known from classical mechanics). So it is the 1/r potential which is the special case, not the other ones.

[1] of course you could still prepare a wave function in a specific l state with respect to some point, but such states would not be eigenstates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook