Non-commutativity of a limiting sum

• Thread starter Unit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of taking limits in infinite sums and the conditions under which they are valid. It also highlights the difference between two seemingly similar infinite sums that converge to different values and the importance of understanding the formal definition of an infinite series. The conversation also reminds readers to be cautious when moving limits from outside to inside an infinite series.
Unit
I read this in the appendix of Hardy's pure mathematics textbook and an explanation was not given:

[tex]\lim_{x \to 1} \sum_1^\infty \left( x^{n-1}-x^n \right) = \lim_{x \to 1} \left( 1 - x + (x - x^2) + \ldots \right) = \lim_{x \to 1} 1 = 1[/tex]

[tex]\sum_1^\infty \lim_{x \to 1} \left( x^{n-1}-x^n \right) = \sum_1^\infty \left( 1 - 1 \right) = 0 + 0 + 0 + \ldots = 0[/tex]

Are both answers correct? I thought that associativity only applied to a finite series of operations, which is why I think the first equation is wrong.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What's going on when you are taking the limit in the first equation? It seems to me that it also should be 0.

Note however that the infinite sums only make sense when |x| <= 1.

Remember that [tex]\lim_{x \to a } \sum^\infty_{n=1} f_n(x)[/tex] and [tex]\sum^\infty_{n=1} \lim_{x \to a } f_n(x)[/tex] are essentially two different things, and are only equal under certain conditions.

Last edited:
Jarle said:
What's going on when you are taking the limit in the first equation? It seems to me that it also should be 0.
[tex]\lim_{x \to 1} \left( 1 - x + (x - x^2) + \ldots \right) = \lim_{x \to 1} \left( 1 + (-x + x) + (-x^2 + x^2) + \ldots \right) = \lim_{x \to 1} \left( 1 + 0 + 0 + \ldots \right) = 1[/tex]

This is what I meant by my associativity remark.
Jarle said:
Note however that the infinite sums only make sense when |x| <= 1.
In the limits, x approaches 1, meaning both [itex]\lim_{x \to 1^+}[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{x \to 1^-}[/itex]. Surely at least the "from below" limit is meets the |x| <= 1 condition?

Unit said:
[tex]\lim_{x \to 1} \left( 1 - x + (x - x^2) + \ldots \right) = \lim_{x \to 1} \left( 1 + (-x + x) + (-x^2 + x^2) + \ldots \right) = \lim_{x \to 1} \left( 1 + 0 + 0 + \ldots \right) = 1[/tex]

Note that [tex]\left( 1 - x + (x - x^2) + \ldots \right)[/tex] and [tex]\left( 1 + (-x + x) + (-x^2 + x^2) + \ldots \right)[/tex] are very different sums! They just happen to converge to the same value under certain conditions. That does not mean they necessarily behave equally. It must be clear what the consecutive terms are in the sum for it to make sense.

Unit said:
In the limits, x approaches 1, meaning both [itex]\lim_{x \to 1^+}[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{x \to 1^-}[/itex]. Surely at least the "from below" limit is meets the |x| <= 1 condition?

Yes, but my point was that in the first case you are taking the limit of a sum which requires that |x| <= 1 in the first place.

Last edited:
To avoid confusion: assume the limit has been removed (it doesn't exist) and instead we are just evaluating the series at x=1 (which does exist)

For infinite sums, associativity is sketchy. In particular, you can only do infinitely many re-arrangements if your sum converges absolutely, otherwise you might be changing the value.

For this particular example, the formal definition of an infinite series is being obscured to confuse you. Formally, an infinite series is a sequence of partial sums

[tex]S_1,S_2,S_3,...[/tex] where [tex]S_i[/tex] is the sum of the first [tex]i[/tex] terms. The series converges to whatever number the partial sums converge to

Writing [tex]\sum_1^\infty \left( x^{n-1}-x^n \right[/tex] means that [tex]S_1=1-x[/tex] and [tex]S_2=(1-x)+(x-x^2)[/tex] and [tex]S_3=(1-x)+(x-x^2)+(x^2-x^3)[/tex]. In general, [tex]S_n=1-x^n[/tex] and this converges to 0 as x goes to 1

The series being used to get a value of 1 (which is not properly written out) is
[tex]S_1=1[/tex] and [tex]S_2=1 + (-x + x)[/tex] and [tex]S_3= 1 + (-x + x) + (-x^2+x^2)[/tex] which of course has [tex]S_k=1[/tex] for all values of k.

To summarize, these are two entirely different infinite series. What makes them look similar is the fact that they can be disguised as being the same by looking at a third divergent series
[tex]S_1=1[/tex] and [tex]S_2=1-x[/tex] and [tex]S_3=1-x+x[/tex] and [tex]S_4=1-x+x-x^2[/tex] etc. Basically what has happened here is that there is a natural divergent series, and two different subsequences converging to different values were picked out of it. Because we're not very good intuitively at noticing this slight of hand, we assume that the two subsequences should converge to the same value, and are surprised when it doesn'tAs a final aside, you should always be careful about whether you can really move a limit from outside of an infinite series to inside of it.

Wow, Office_Shredder -- that was exceptionally well put. I understand completely! Thanks a lot!

1. What is non-commutativity of a limiting sum?

The non-commutativity of a limiting sum refers to the fact that the order in which the terms of a series are added can affect the final value of the sum.

2. How does non-commutativity arise in a limiting sum?

Non-commutativity arises when the terms of a series do not satisfy the associative property of addition, meaning that changing the order in which the terms are added can result in a different final value.

3. What are some examples of non-commutativity in limiting sums?

One example is the Grandi's series, which has the sum of 1/2 as its limit when the terms are added from left to right, but has a sum of -1/4 when the terms are added from right to left. Another example is the alternating harmonic series, which has a sum of ln(2) when the terms are added in a specific order, but diverges when the order is changed.

4. What implications does non-commutativity have in mathematics?

The existence of non-commutativity in limiting sums highlights the importance of order of operations in mathematics, as changing the order in which terms are added can result in different outcomes. It also has implications in areas such as calculus and number theory, where the order of operations can affect the convergence or divergence of a series.

5. How is non-commutativity of limiting sums relevant in real-world applications?

Non-commutativity can be seen in real-world scenarios such as banking and finance, where the order in which transactions are processed can affect the final balance of an account. It is also relevant in physics, where the order of operations can impact the accuracy of calculations in certain equations.