1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-constant acceleration kinematics

1. Sep 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The acceleration of a marble in a certain fluid is proportional to the speed of the marble squared, and is given (in SI units) by a = -3.00v^2 for v > 0. If the marble enters this fluid with a speed of 1.50 m/s, how long will it take before the marble's speed is reduced to half of its initial value?

2. The attempt at a solution
    I know that this question appeared here a while ago (found an archive to this exact one from two years ago) but I wasn't too sure with some of the help they gave so I'm asking again if someone would kindly help. I know that it involves a=dv/dt so that I end up with something like (v2-v1)=-3v^2(t-0). That may be wrong, I'm in a high school AP class and am just starting with some basic derivations in my calc class, so it is very possible that there's a flaw in all that (and in some of my terminology or whatnot) but if I'm on the right track my main concern would be the v^2. I saw on another post that someone did

dv/v^2 = -kdt

-1/v = -kt +C

but I'm not sure how they got there (besides it looking like they took the integral)
    Again, things may be wrong and I wouldn't be surprised, but any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

The solution you are referencing is using acceleration as dv/dt. Since what you are looking for is a value for the difference in time that should be found by employing the difference in velocity of the given problem. You separate the V terms to the V side. (This eliminates I think your main concern.) And then integrate both sides.

That yields the relationship V to dv and t to dt.

-1/V = -k/t + C

Now using this relationship, subtract from one known Vo the other known V1, and with the initial t being 0 you can solve for t1

(-1/1.5) - (-1/ .75) = (-3*0+c) - (-3t1+c) = 3*t1

That's at least how I see the problem.

4. Sep 10, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the help, but I'm sorry to say I'm still a little bit lost on that...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?