1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-Convex Coordinate Transform Problem Rotating Frame

1. May 28, 2014 #1
    I am sure this is not the best description of the problem, so let me know how I can clarify.

Say there are 2 coordinate systems, with one orbiting around the other. Call one fixed ƒ and the other rotating ρ. The goal is to find the transform between the two frames.

What's known is
    1) A set of 3D points at a given time τ in frame ρ
    2) The angle θ which frame ρ is subsequently rotated about the z-axis of frame ƒ between time τ and τ+1
    3) New 3D points at time τ+1 in frame ρ, and so forth.
    4) All points from all views lie in a single plane in frame ƒ (this does not mean the points at time τ and time τ+1 are the same, just that they are coplanar)

I want to set up the problem to use the plane equation in frame ƒ to solve an overdetermined system, but I run into the problem that I do not know the plane normal η and distance d in frame ƒ.

Is there any way this can be solved (even approximately)? Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted