(non)fractional Negative Exponents

• Thread starter wScott
  • Start date
We got thirty questions dealing with zero and negative exponents, but I'm having trouble with the negative exponent questions.

An example of this is:

a^3b-2/3^-1a^4b^-3

(-3x^-2y^3/3^-3x^4y^8)^-2

Sorry if these two examples look messy I don't know how to write it out like people write equations on this site.

Answers and Replies

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You could still use parentheses correctly. And spaces are terrific for readability. E.G. I think you meant to write:

a^3 b^-2 / (3^-1 a^4 b^-3)

for the first one.

Thanks for the tip Hurkyl. Do you have any ideas on how to solve them?

You should know (and remember) these relations when dealing with exponents:

[tex]x^{a}x^{b}=x^{a+b}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{x^{a}}{x^{b}}=x^{a-b}[/tex].

And, of course, [tex]x^{a}y^{b}\neq xy^{a+b}[/tex] and the same for the fractions.

Hint: If you click on the LaTeX images above you can see the code and learn how to use it in this forum.

Thanks for the tip Assyrian.

But if you have a solution to the above problems it would definitely give me a kick start to my homework.

Sorry, but solutions are not just given away. You have to show your work. What have you done so far on these problems?

Well I think I've actually figured out the first one, I'm working on the second one rigt now but i might have it in a minute. here's my work for the first one by the wya, tell me if I got it right:
[tex]\frac{a^{3}b^{-2}} {3^{-1}a^{4}b^{-3}}[/tex]

[tex]=3a^{-1}b[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{3b} {a}[/tex]

if you cant see th LaTeX, I probobly put it in wrong, here's my work in plain text:

(a^3 b^-2) / (3^-1 a^4 b^-3)

= 3a^-1 b

=(3b) / a

That looks correct. And yes, I can see the LaTeX.

Thanks assyrian :)

Well I've looked at a few math help sites and a few tutorials, got some help from a teacher today, and didn't understand the lesson in calss yesterday, but I finally understand it :p

talk about dedication to the "arts" :)

Can you explain something to me though?

I have a question that's written like this [tex]x^{2}y^{-3}[/tex] but I have no clue as to what they're asking of me.

I don't know what the question is either. :smile: Do they want you to simplify [tex]x^{2}y^{-3}[/tex] or what?

I have no clue and they don't tell you what you're supposed to do on the worksheet, which really sucks.

Well I thank you for your assistance Assyrian, but I'm going to go watch Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire now while I redue all of my homework.

Thanks again, bye.

Interesting....I'm soon to go and watch the same movie. :smile: