1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-homogeneous 2nd order diff eq involves power series

1. May 9, 2006 #1
    I just need a hint or something to see where I start. I'm at a loss for a beginning.

Consider the non-homogenous equation
    [tex]y'' + xy' + y = x^2 +2x +1[/tex]

Find the power series solution about [tex]x=0[/tex] of the equation and express your answer in the form:

[tex]y=a_0 y_1 + a_1 y_2 + y_p[/tex]

where [tex]a_0[/tex] and [tex]a_1[/tex] are arbitrary constants. Give only the first three nonzero terms of each of the three series[tex]y_1[/tex],[tex]y_2[/tex], and [tex]y_p[/tex]

Hint: Substitute [tex] y = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nx^{n}[/tex] and equate coefficients to find [tex]a_n[/tex], [tex]n = 2,3,4,5[/tex]
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Do you know how to take the derivative of y in that form? If so, plug it in, and then try to rearrange the expression so that you have an infinite linear combination of powers of x that is equal to 0. Since the powers of x are linearly independent, all these coefficients must equal to zero, which will give you an expression for a_n in terms of a_n-1 and maybe a_n-2. This is called the Frobenius method, if you want to look online for a better explanation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?