Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non line of sight position sensor/ detector

1. Aug 2, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I am looking for a sensor/ detector (A) which could perform the following:

constrain: transmitter/ receiver (B) size must be small so that it can be inserted in human bone to be detected later, diameter 3mm X 6mm length is preferred, however, a bigger size can be consider as well.

Application: once this (B) in inserted into human bone, imagine the size of bone as diameter 16mm X 300mm length cylinder (C) with wall thickness 3mm covered by tissue, muscle. I will need a detector (A) at close range, preferably a handheld type which I can scan from any part outside the body through skin, muscle, tissue and bone of arms/ leg (C) to detect the location of (B), this detector (A) will tells me the X,Y,Z distance from a reference. Once I can pinpoint the location, I can retrieve the (B).

ultrasound may not be applicable as there may be interference with the bone as solid material. perhaps some kind of Rf system may work? someone please advise?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2011 #2
    What you have asked is impossible with any system.

To establish coordinates in 2D requires 2 reference points, and in 3D 3 reference points.

Your handheld gadget contains only one.

That is one reason why hospital scanners are large machines with multiple sensors.

There are devices that yield depth and position (indirectly) such as stud/wire/pipe/rebar locators.

You might try to study these to see if there is any help there. They achieve the measurement by multiple positioning of one search head.

go well.

4. Aug 3, 2011 #3
    Hi,

Thanks for your advise.
    ok, will try what you have recommended.
    Thanks

5. Aug 4, 2011 #4
    You might also look at the rfi tags used in some prostrate radiation work (and I suspect other applications).

6. Aug 5, 2011 #5
    Hi DickL,
    ok, thanks. I will check.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook