Non-linear Oscillator: Understanding Bound Motion through Conservation of Energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Adorno
Messages
29
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A non-linear oscillator consisting of a mass on a spring has a potential energy of the form [itex]\frac{1}{2}kx^2 - \frac{1}{3}\alpha x^3[/itex], where [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]\alpha[/itex] are positive constants, and [itex]x[/itex] is displacement. Using conservation of energy, show that the motion is oscillatory if the initial position [itex]x_0[/itex] satisfies [itex]0 < x_0 < \frac{k}{\alpha}[/itex] and the initial velocity satisfies [itex]v_0 < \frac{k}{\alpha}\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/itex].

Homework Equations


[itex]E = T + U = \mathrm{constant}[/itex]

[itex]F = -\frac{dU}{dx}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


By conservation of energy, the quantity [itex]E = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + U(x)[/itex] must be constant. So if the motion is oscillatory then the velocity will be zero at two (and only two) different positions, i.e. we have [itex]E = U(x_1) = U(x_2)[/itex]. Since [itex]E[/itex] is the maximum value of the potential energy, this is equivalent to saying that the potential energy must reach the value of its local max/min at two (and only two) positions. In other words, the [itex]x[/itex] values must lie between the two critical points of [itex]U[/itex]. By setting [itex]dU/dx = 0[/itex], we get [itex]x = 0[/itex] and [itex]x = \frac{k}{\alpha}[/itex] as the two critical points, and so we must have [itex]0 < x < \frac{k}{\alpha}[/itex], as required.

I think the above is OK, but feel free to correct me if you see a problem. What I don't understand is how the initial velocity comes into it. The question is saying that if the initial velocity is greater than [itex]\frac{k}{\alpha}\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/itex], then the motion won't be oscillatory, but I don't know how to derive this. Presumably this has to do with the conservation of energy as well -- I guess I have to use the kinetic energy term [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex] somehow. Could anyone help with this part?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the potential, and with that draw the force. For small initial velocity the particle can be trapped by the potential.
 
Adorno said:
What I don't understand is how the initial velocity comes into it. The question is saying that if the initial velocity is greater than [itex]\frac{k}{\alpha}\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/itex], then the motion won't be oscillatory, but I don't know how to derive this. Presumably this has to do with the conservation of energy as well -- I guess I have to use the kinetic energy term [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex] somehow. Could anyone help with this part?

Consider also that a system is only bound for E < 0 . When the mass is at the extreme of displacement [itex]x = \frac{k}{\alpha}[/itex], what would the maximum permissible velocity be?

(I think there is some margin in the given conditions: I am getting some dimensionless multipliers on the order of 1 for the limits on displacement and velocity.)