1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-Physics Major Needs Physics Help!

1. Oct 2, 2008 #1
    Hi, I'm a new member, and my problem is that I'm new to physics. I'm a non-physics major, taking a physics course to fill in a science credit. This is the most basic of basic courses. I'm reviewing for a test and will post questions accordingly.

If you want symbols, variables, and data, you'll have to be patient with me. Because I do not understand any of this.

1. What is the difference between a compound lever and a multiple lever? I was told a multiple lever is made up of loads and efforts where the load of one lever becomes the effort of another lever. But I don't understand how that would work in a practical setting, and even if it did, how is that different from a compound lever? What is a compund lever? I must be able to give real-world examples of each.

2. Assume that a wheel is a type of lever, with the axle being the fulcrum. If you put the effort on the axel, does it become a third class lever, moving the outer portion of the wheel? What about when you put the effort on the outer part of the wheel? Is that a second class lever? My professor insists that we think of the wheel-and-axel as a lever. It makes very little sense to me. And for each class of...wheel? We have to identify if we gain a Mechanical Advantage (MA) or a Speed Advantage (SA).

3. How does one determine the mechanical advantage of a pulley system? My teacher says it has to do with how many ropes are at work. "The Ideal Mechanical Advantage (IMA) of a pulley system is equal to the number of supporting ropes."

If you have a long rope, it is divided among the pulleys into smaller ropes. But what's the different between a change in direction, and an actual rope?

I have more questions. Lots of them. My test is on Tuesday and I'm trying to get as much help as I can.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

Perhaps this will help?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulley#Types_of_systems

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?