Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-relativistic limit of Dirac bilinear

1. Jun 10, 2015 #1
    Hi,
    I'm studying direct detection techniques for dark matter and in almost all the articles I read (e.g.
    Gondolo, P. (1996, May 13). Phenomenological Introduction to Direct Dark Matter Detection. arXiv.org.) the authors say that in the non-relativistic limit the vector and axial currents take the following forms: $$\bar{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}\nu\rightarrow\nu^{\dagger}\nu$$ $$\bar{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}\gamma_5\nu\rightarrow\bar{\nu}\vec{\gamma}\gamma_5\nu$$
    can anyone explain me why?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2015 #2

ChrisVer

Gold Member

One fast answer, in the non-relativistic limit, the first two components of the Dirac spinor are large and the last two are small...
    That means that when you take the products of the type: ## \bar{\psi} \gamma_\mu \psi## the ##\gamma_i## which are off-diagonal will couple your small component to the large... while the ##\gamma_0## will couple your large to large and small to small. That's why the ##\bar{\psi} \gamma_i \psi## can be neglected versus the ##\bar{\psi} \gamma_0 \psi = \psi^\dagger \psi##.

For the ##\gamma_5## case the thing is the opposite because gamma5 reverses them (the gamma0 becomes off-diagonal in block form, while the gamma_i become diagonal).

4. Jun 10, 2015 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

You can also have a look in Peskin, Ch4.8 Coulomb potential, where he gives [itex] \bar{u} \gamma_0 u \approx 2m \xi^\dagger \xi[/itex] while he also mentions that the other can be neglected for small momenta... The thing is that again the 1st two go with ##m## for ##p \rightarrow 0## while the other two go with ##p##.

5. Jun 10, 2015 #4
    Thank you so much, I'm having little hard time trying to understand the physics behind the direct detection techniques.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook