Non-square matrix and linear independence

In summary, a non-square matrix can have linearly independent columns if it has more rows than columns. However, if it has more columns than rows, the columns cannot be independent.
torquerotates
Can a non square matrix have linearly independent columns? I can't take the determinant so I can't tell.

Physics news on Phys.org
torquerotates said:
Can a non square matrix have linearly independent columns? I can't take the determinant so I can't tell.

Yes. For instance,
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array}\right][/tex]
Of course it will have to have more rows than columns.

If, on the other hand, the matrix has more columns than rows, the columns cannot be independent. If there are say, m columns and n rows, with m> n, then the columns are n dimensional vectors and a set of m vectors of n dimensions, with m> n, cannot be independent.

1. What is a non-square matrix?

A non-square matrix is a matrix that does not have an equal number of rows and columns. It can have any number of rows or columns, as long as the number of rows is not equal to the number of columns.

2. How is a non-square matrix different from a square matrix?

A square matrix has the same number of rows and columns, while a non-square matrix does not. This means that a square matrix is always a rectangular shape, while a non-square matrix can have any rectangular shape.

3. What is linear independence in a matrix?

Linear independence in a matrix refers to a set of vectors within the matrix that are not dependent on each other. This means that no vector in the set can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set.

4. How is linear independence related to non-square matrices?

Linear independence is important in non-square matrices because it determines whether the matrix is invertible or not. If a non-square matrix has linearly independent columns, it is invertible, meaning it has a unique solution. If the columns are linearly dependent, the matrix is not invertible and does not have a unique solution.

5. How can I determine if a non-square matrix has linearly independent columns?

To determine if a non-square matrix has linearly independent columns, you can use the method of Gaussian elimination and reduce the matrix to row echelon form. If there are no rows of zeros and no rows where all the entries except the last one are zero, then the columns are linearly independent. Another method is to calculate the determinant of the matrix – if it is non-zero, then the columns are linearly independent.