Non-US Citizen Admission to Ivy League Schools

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
Salman Ranjha
Messages
17
Reaction score
3
How much difficult it is for a Non US citizen to get into IVY league..?? (Other than Dartmouth)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's very competitive. It's probably safe to say that you need to improve your English substantially to have a chance.
 
Vanadium 50 said:
It's very competitive. It's probably safe to say that you need to improve your English substantially to have a chance.

That is true. I went to Harvard, and all the foreign students spoke perfect English.

I CAN tell you that coming from an exotic country would be a big advantage in admissions. Canadian or UK citizenship wouldn't help, but Madagascar, Sierra Leone, Maldive Islands, Bolivia, Viet Nam, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Malawi, anything like that, I think if you were minimally qualified they'd take you. Even France or Germany might do it.
 
It's harder than for domestic applicants, but it also depends on if the school is need blind for international students. Not all are. The ones that are however wilol not admit many international students since they usually want to save financial aid for domestic students.
 
Hornbein said:
I CAN tell you that coming from an exotic country would be a big advantage in admissions.

Why do you say that? And in particular what is "exotic" about France or Germany?
 
Vanadium 50 said:
Why do you say that? And in particular what is "exotic" about France or Germany?
France or Germany is a lot more exotic than New York City. Being a citizen of NYC would be a disadvantage on a Harvard application. They want diversity, and they get it.

It is widely rumored that there is a Jewish quota. I believe it.
 
Well, I only have access to the MIT numbers, and they have taken 1 French and 1 German undergrad. No Austrians, Hungarians or Slovenians in 4 years. Nobody from Madagascar, Sierra Leone, the Maldives or Sri Lanka. One from Bolivia, 6 from Indonesia and 8 from Vietnam. The countries with the largest representations are China, South Korea, Canada, India, and Mexico.
 
my non us classmates at an ivy league school tended to be olympic athletes. so if you were on a medal winning soccer or swimming team you will probably get in.
 
Salman Ranjha said:
(Other than Dartmouth)

Just curious, why not Dartmouth?
 
gmax137 said:
Just curious, why not Dartmouth?
Cause I'm interested in astronomy and Dartmouth don't offer it...:'(