Worried about visiting school I don't have a chance at

• Thread starter Crouton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, the speaker will be visiting two graduate schools over Thanksgiving break, one of which they really want to attend and the other being an Ivy League school. They are uncertain about their chances of getting into the Ivy League school due to being a "meh" student from an unknown school. They have a scheduled visit with a well-known professor in a field they are unfamiliar with and are torn between cancelling and attending. They are unsure of what to talk about with the professor and estimate their chances of being admitted to the Ivy League school at 5%. The speaker is advised to still attend the visit and learn about research and graduate student life at an Ivy League school.
Crouton
Hi,

Over Thanksgiving break, I will be visiting two graduate schools since I have family in the area and so I will be there anyway. One of the schools I would really like to attend and have a shot at getting into. The other one is an Ivy League. I'm a meh student from an unknown school; though I'm applying there for grad school, it's definitely a lottery ticket and I don't stand a chance of getting in.

I look forward to visiting the campus since it's lovely, however I have an arranged visit but am starting to regret taking up the professors' time (meeting with a well-known professor in a field I'm not familiar with, and also with the graduate admissions coordinator). I am torn between cancelling (which would lower my admissions chances, and also leave me in the town with nothing to do for a day), and just attending (and making myself look like a fool, and wasting their time).

I don't know what even to talk to the professor about - I have never done research in his specialty area.

Thoughts?

As it is now, I'd put my chance of being admitted to the Ivy League at about 5%.

Physics news on Phys.org
He's a professor, you're a prospective grad student, so it's part of his job to interact with candidates like you. I'm puzzled that you picked someone in a field that you are unfamiliar with, however. You should be visiting profs,labs in areas that you might work in. Still, I'd go ahead. You'll learn something about how research is done, and he'll probably introduce you toone or more of his grad students. You can get a sense of what grad student life is like at an Ivy.

What do I do if I'm worried about visiting a school that I don't think I have a chance at?

First, it's important to remember that you never know what opportunities may arise. Don't count yourself out before you even try. That being said, if you are truly worried about visiting a school that you don't think you have a chance at, it may be helpful to reach out to the admissions office beforehand and ask for more information about their admissions process and criteria. This can give you a better understanding of where you stand and what you can do to improve your chances.

How can I prepare for a visit to a school that I don't think I have a chance at?

Before your visit, do some research on the school and their admissions process. This will give you a better idea of what to expect and what factors they consider when making admissions decisions. It may also be helpful to talk to current students or alumni of the school to get a better understanding of their experiences and what the school looks for in potential students. Additionally, be sure to dress professionally and come prepared with questions and a positive attitude.

What if I don't have the grades or test scores that the school typically looks for?

While grades and test scores are important factors in the admissions process, they are not the only things that schools consider. If you feel that your grades or test scores are not up to par, focus on highlighting your strengths in other areas such as extracurricular activities, volunteer work, or personal experiences. It's also important to show your passion and enthusiasm for the school and how you can contribute to their community.

What if I don't have the financial means to attend this school?

Many schools offer financial aid and scholarships to help make education more accessible. It's important to research the school's financial aid options and apply for any scholarships that you may be eligible for. You can also reach out to the school's financial aid office and discuss your situation with them. They may be able to provide you with more information and resources to help make attending the school more feasible.

Should I still visit the school even if I don't think I have a chance?

Absolutely! Visiting the school can give you a better understanding of their campus, culture, and community. It can also help you make a more informed decision about whether or not the school is a good fit for you. Even if you don't end up getting accepted, the experience of visiting the school can still be valuable and may even open up other opportunities for you.