1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions What are the chances of getting into an Ivy School from CA

1. Jun 11, 2016 #1
    I live in Canada but I want to go to a university in the US after I graduate HS. Does anyone have any experience similar to this? What are my chances of getting into an Ivy league school compared to those who already live in the U.S? Any data, statistics, personal or secondhand experience, educated guesses are all welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2016 #2

DrSteve

Gold Member

It's done all the time. Admissions criteria for said schools are the same regardless of where you hail from, unless there is a flood or superabundance of applications from certain countries, in which there may be a de facto quota in place. Financial considerations may alter the equation. As an international student your chances for acceptance will be lower if you express financial need. Please keep in mind that acceptances at these schools is ~ 5%, so it would be a dangerous strategy indeed to only focus on the Ivies

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  4. Jun 11, 2016 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Half a week ago, you wanted to go to MIT. Today it's an Ivy. Fortunately, you have time for 150 more such flip-flops before you need to make a decision. What you really need to do is to focus on getting your grades up. Without that, neither MIT nor an Ivy is in the cards.

5. Jun 11, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why the focus on the Ivies all the time? Sure, you'll get an excellent education there. But there are plenty of universities in Canada where you can also get a very good education for a much less money. I honestly think that any foreign student trying to get into a US university for undergrad is completely insane. There are so many good schools where you can go for less that a quarter of the price.

6. Jun 11, 2016 #5
    :/
    I just said Ivy because it's hard to get into Ivys. No where in the post did I say I wanted to go to an Ivy school. There is actually a higher acceptance rate at M.I.T than at some Ivys, so I thought if someone could provide data about foreign acceptance it might give me a reference frame. Not flip-flopping.
    And yes, your right that I need to boost my grades, but that doesn't mean I can't think about my future.

7. Jun 11, 2016 #6
    I just used Ivys as an example.
    Thanks, this gives me what I was looking for.

8. Jun 11, 2016 #7

radium

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's honestly not really worth thinking about the Ivys/Chicago/Stanford/MIT/Duke etc. at this point. The acceptance rates are so low that it's a crapshoot for anyone, except in special circumstances. My school has been getting well over 30,000 applications for the past three years at least. And it's very likely that most of them look pretty much the same.

9. Jun 11, 2016 #8
    Good to know.

10. Jun 11, 2016 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Planning for your future is good. Fantasizing about your future is not. You are a C-minus student. Do you really think your problem right now is to decide which elite US school you will be going to in three years time?

MIT enrolls about five Canadian students per year. Are you one of the top five students in Canada? Are you even on the path to being one of the top five students? I note that you haven't posted a single problem in the homework sections; instead you're posting about video game fantasy technology like portals. More fantasy. Meanwhile, I can guarantee that those top five students are working their butts off.

11. Jun 11, 2016 #10
    Man, some of that was true but that really hurt my feelings. I know you don't care though. It's just hurtful to think that just because I spent some time on physics forums asking about portals, something of which I was completely ignorant about, means that I'm not working hard. Thanks for participating in my threads, you are genuinely helpful(<--- read with serious inflection).
    P.S
    I didn't post in the homework section because I haven't seen any problems at a grade 9 level, so I figured if I did that would just piss people off or no one would bother answering. Can I post questions about math homework that's at a grade 9 level there?
    P.P.S
    Thanks for the reality check.

12. Jun 11, 2016 #11

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It may hurt your feelings to be told something you don't want to hear, but isn't that better than being told something comforting but wrong? And then three years down the road finding out that your goals are now out of reach?

Yes, you should post homework and homework-type questions in the math homework sections.

13. Jun 11, 2016 #12
    Your right Vanadium. Being told what I want to hear isn't Science! Science is truth. Your last post gave me a lot of motivation. As soon as I replied I sat down and started doing math and I will continue and then turn off my PC after this post. Thank you for being my voice of reason.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted