Nondimensionalizing and what to do

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of dimensionless variables in a paper about fluid sloshing in a rectangular channel. The variables ##x##, ##y##, and ##z## represent the width, height, and length of the channel respectively, while ##h## represents the depth of the fluid. The paper states that all further discussion will be carried out in dimensionless variables, and the equations for the fluid's equilibrium state are given in terms of these variables. It is confirmed that ##h## is a dimensionless parameter, and it can be converted into dimensional form by multiplying by the corresponding natural unit. The conversation also touches on the importance of keeping track of units when using numerical values for physical variables.
member 428835
Hi PF!

There is a paper I'm reading about fluid that is sloshed in a rectangular channel, where the width is ##x##, the length of of the channel is ##z##, and the channel height ##y##. The paper reads: "All further discussion will be carried out in dimensionless variables, choosing the half-width ##l## of the channel as the characteristic dimension. Then in Cartesian coordinates the region ##\Omega## occupied by the fluid in the equilibrium state is determined by the inequalities $$-1<x<1,\,\,\,\,h\leq y \leq \Gamma(x)$$ where ##h## is the depth of the fluid and ##y =\Gamma(x)## is the equation for the surface."

My question is, is ##h## dimensionless? Later in the paper ##h## is a parameter, but when comparing to an experiment, is ##h## dimensional?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If they state that they will use dimensionless variables you should probably trust them. That means that all variables have been normalised by the corresponding natural unit.

Having h as a parameter does not prevent it from being dimensionless.

Orodruin said:
If they state that they will use dimensionless variables you should probably trust them. That means that all variables have been normalised by the corresponding natural unit.

Having h as a parameter does not prevent it from being dimensionless.
So how do I get ##y## into dimensional form? This is confusing because they don't state what ##h## is beyond the lower bound. It makes sense to me that dimensionally ##-l\leq x\leq l## and after non-dimensionalizing becomes ##-1\leq x \leq 1##, but how to get ##y## into dimensional form?

Multiply by the corresponding natural unit, just like for ##x##.

Likes member 428835
Orodruin said:
Multiply by the corresponding natural unit, just like for ##x##.
Great, that's what I thought. And area ##l^2##. Thanks!

Note that, in a sense, we are always doing this whenever we are using actual values for physical variables. The only difference here is that the length unit is chosen based on a dimension present in the problem, not on a preexisting definition (such as cm or inches).

If you are entering numbers into a calculator, those are dimensionless. It is up to you to keep track of the units. The same goes for computer code. (Unless you are like me and program your own C++ class to take care of units for you.)

For example, in uniform motion of 12 m taking 3 s. What you would put into the calculator is 12/3=4. This is dimensionless. It is up to you to take care of the units, which are 1 m and 1 s. Dividing the units gives you a speed unit (1 m)/(1 s) = 1 m/s.

Likes member 428835
Yea, that's a good call! I like seeing things from this view.

Ummmm I don't use C actually but perhaps if computations get spendy I may switch over...

And thanks for the help!

What does it mean to "nondimensionalize" data?

Nondimensionalizing data is the process of removing the units from a set of data in order to make it easier to compare and analyze. This is typically done by dividing each data point by a characteristic unit or scale of the data set.

Why is it important to nondimensionalize data?

Nondimensionalizing data allows for easier comparison and analysis of data sets with different units. It also helps to identify relationships between variables and can simplify complex equations.

What are some common methods for nondimensionalizing data?

Common methods for nondimensionalizing data include using characteristic scales, such as the mean or standard deviation of the data, and using dimensionless parameters such as Reynolds number or Mach number.

Can data be nondimensionalized if it contains both numerical and categorical variables?

Yes, data can still be nondimensionalized if it contains both numerical and categorical variables. In this case, the categorical variables can be converted into numerical values and included in the nondimensionalization process.

Are there any limitations to nondimensionalizing data?

While nondimensionalizing data can be useful, it is important to note that it does not always provide a complete representation of the data. Some information may be lost in the process, particularly if the characteristic scale chosen is not representative of the entire data set.