Nonequilibrium applications of Newton's laws of motion

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
pookisantoki
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
A fisherman is fishing from a bridge and is using a "32.0-N test line." In other words, the line will sustain a maximum force of 32.0 N without breaking. What is the weight of the heaviest fish that can be pulled up vertically, when the line is reeled in with an acceleration whose magnitude is 2.36 m/s2?

I have no idea on how to go about this problem, please help!
Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the tensthe tension is the 32.0N-mg
mg=a so i plugged in 2.36
so 32-2.36=29.64
which is wrong...
 
I thought about doing it this way 2.36=[2(32)-(x*9.8)]/x but not sure if this is correct or how to solve for x.
 
pookisantoki said:
I thought about doing it this way 2.36=[2(32)-(x*9.8)]/x but not sure if this is correct or how to solve for x.
32 - mg = ma
Or 32 = m(g+a). g is known and a is given.
Find m.