Some Applications of Newton's Laws of Motion

In summary, the man jumps from a window ledge 50cm (1.6ft) from the ground and has an acceleration of 9.8 meters per second squared. His net force acting on him is 4.448 kilograms of force.
KD
This is probably really easy, but I can't figure out what to do.

A man of mass 80kg (W= 176 lb) jumps down to a patio from a window ledge .50m (1.6ft) from ground. He doesn't bend his knees on landing so his motion is arrested in a distance 2.0cm (.79in) What is the acceleration of the man from the time his feet first touch the patio to the time he is brought fully to rest? With what force does this jump jar his bone structure?

If someone could just lead me in the right direction, that would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find his acceleration using kinematics, and use [itex] \Sigma F = ma [/itex]

edit: that's a big sigma...

I forgot to include what I have already tried.

I separated the kinematics into two. From the ledge to the ground and then from the ground to rest. I'm jusing 9.8 as the acceleration for the first one and I'm getting 3.13 for final velocity. Then I'm using that as my initial velocity for the next set. That must be wrong because then I'm getting 245 m/s2 as my acceleration...

I also changed the 80kg into 5.5slugs, but I doubt that is helpful.

well the acceleration is going to be very high for the second part, so what you have is correct. Now use that with Newton's second law to find the net force exerted on the man.

Okay, so what I need to do now is change all of that work to get it into lbs then subtract the orignal weight of the man to get the force acting on him? Or do I just keep the answer how it is?

Thanks for your help.

don't use lbs, use SI units.
in fact, you don't even need work.

if you know his acceleration and his mass, how would you find the force?

Okay, I know sigmaF=ma, and I know I would use that to find the force. The only reason I am converting to pounds is because I need to subtract the weight because that is a "negative" force so I need to add that part for the sigma...at least, I'm pretty sure. That is how we have been doing it in class...but maybe that's not what I do here.

Wait, I don't need to convert all of that work to pounds, I can just use 4.448N/lb to convert the weight...

What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are a set of three physical laws that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. The laws were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century and are considered to be one of the cornerstones of classical mechanics.

What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This law is often written as F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal but opposite force on the first object.

What are some common applications of Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion have numerous applications in everyday life, such as understanding the motion of objects in sports, the behavior of vehicles on the road, and the design of structures and machines. These laws are also crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.