Nonfiction books about bionics/cyborgs/similar?

• Thread starter Emily R.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation revolved around a high school student working on their Extended Essay and researching the topic of cyborgs and technologies used in the human body. They asked for recommendations on nonfiction books and sources for their research, and the conversation concluded with helpful links to articles, a book, and a video on the topic.
Emily R.
I'm honestly not sure what section to put this question under, but I'm going to be a senior in high school next year and I'm in the IB program at my school and currently working on my Extended Essay. It's basically a research paper of sorts. I'm doing mine essentially on the different technologies used in the human body with things such as prosthetics, synthetic eyes, etc. I'm also looking at the question of at what point people with these technologies would be considered cyborgs, and how that would affect our definition of humanity. It's sort of broad and I'll get it narrowed down the further along I go. But my question is, does anyone know of any nonfiction books on that topic or similar that I could use for my research?

Computer science news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
I found this article on BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140924-the-greatest-myths-about-cyborgs

and this one from CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/07/politics/pentagon-developing-brain-implants-cyborgs/

and this one from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyborg

and this book from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0415908493/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and this video from youtube:

Just try typing in cyborg research into Google and read up on what you find.

Thank you those were all very helpful links!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between bionics and cyborgs?

Bionics refers to the use of biological systems or principles in the design of technology, while cyborgs are living beings that have enhanced abilities through the integration of technology into their bodies. Essentially, bionics is the field of study and cyborgs are the end result.

2. What are some examples of bionics and cyborgs in nonfiction books?

Some popular nonfiction books about bionics and cyborgs include "More Than Human: Embracing the Promise of Biological Enhancement" by Ramez Naam, "The Body Builders: Inside the Science of the Engineered Human" by Adam Piore, and "Man Plus" by Frederik Pohl.

3. How does bionics and cyborg technology impact society?

Bionics and cyborg technology have the potential to greatly impact society in both positive and negative ways. On one hand, it can improve the lives of individuals with disabilities by giving them enhanced abilities. On the other hand, there are ethical concerns surrounding the use of technology to enhance human capabilities and the potential for creating a divide between those who can afford these enhancements and those who cannot.

4. What are some current advancements in the field of bionics and cyborgs?

Some current advancements in bionics and cyborg technology include the development of prosthetic limbs with sensory feedback, brain-computer interfaces that allow paralyzed individuals to control technology with their thoughts, and exoskeletons that can assist with physical tasks.

5. How does the study of bionics and cyborgs relate to other fields of science?

The study of bionics and cyborgs incorporates various fields of science, including biology, engineering, computer science, and neuroscience. It also intersects with fields such as bioethics, as the ethical implications of enhancing human capabilities are a significant aspect of the field.