1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archived Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos, Strogatz: 2.1.5

1. Jun 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a) Find a mechanical system that is approximately governed by [itex]\dot{x}=sin(x)[/itex]
    b) Using your physical intuition, explain why it now becomes obvious that x*=0 is an unstable fixed point and x*=[itex]\pi[/itex] is stable.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\dot{x}=sin(x)[/itex] (?)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm thinking a pendulum can be used as a mechanical system that varies with sinθ, but I'm not sure how to solidify my answer.

Could it possibly be an inverted pendulum in a very viscous medium?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Consider a particle sliding over terrain y=f(x). Assuming conservation of energy (and some convenient total) what is the PE at x? What does that yield for f?

4. Feb 6, 2016 #3

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Question of understanding what they want. I think all you need to do is draw a diagram of the given function (familiar!) extending a little further on both sides than the points mentioned; xdot is the ordinate, but more important, with little horizontal arrows show which way x Is moving on each side of the named points, and you will soon see what they mean about stability/instability. Just explain this in your own words.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  5. Jan 5, 2017 #4
    Immerse your pendulum in honey and evolve your equations. When you finish, you're gonna get a second order differencial equation. At this point, you gotta be audacious and destroy the second order term. Voilà.

6. Jan 5, 2017 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The OP never came back, and this is years old.
    But for what it's worth, I believe my suggestion in post #2 gives a very easy model, no approximations needed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted