Nonlinear first-order differrential equation

• Thread starter keize1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nonlinear
In summary, the conversation is discussing a homework problem involving a differential equation and constants m, g, and k. The goal is to solve for v(t) using the given equation. The individual attempted to solve the homogeneous equation first before trying to find a solution for the original inhomogeneous equation by substituting a function for v. However, this approach did not work and other substitutions were also unsuccessful. It is suggested to separate the variables and use the initial condition to determine the integration constant.
keize1

Homework Statement

m*dv/dt = - mg - kv^2, where m,g and k are constants and v(t) is what I should solve

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I solved homogeneous equation m*dvh/dt = -kvh^2 and got vh = m/(kt - cm). Where c is also constant.
Then I treid to get one solution for the original inhomogeneous equation by subtituting v = f(t)*vh = f(t)*m/(kt - cm) in the original equation, but by it I only got a more difficult differential equation for f(t). So it didn't work.

I also tried a few different subtitutions at the beginning with no success.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could separate the variables such as:

dy/dx = f(y)

integral (dy/f(y)) = integral(dx)

Initial condition determines integration constant.

1. What is a nonlinear first-order differential equation?

A nonlinear first-order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a dependent variable and its first derivative, where the relationship between the two is nonlinear. This means that the dependent variable does not have a constant rate of change and is affected by other variables in the equation.

2. How is a nonlinear first-order differential equation different from a linear one?

In a linear first-order differential equation, the dependent variable has a constant rate of change and is not affected by other variables. In a nonlinear equation, the dependent variable's rate of change is not constant and is influenced by other variables in the equation.

3. What are some real-world applications of nonlinear first-order differential equations?

Nonlinear first-order differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and biology to model complex systems that involve nonlinear relationships between variables. For example, they can be used to model population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

4. What are some methods for solving nonlinear first-order differential equations?

There are several methods for solving nonlinear first-order differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Numerical methods, such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods, can also be used to approximate solutions.

5. How are nonlinear first-order differential equations used in chaos theory?

In chaos theory, nonlinear first-order differential equations are used to study the behavior of systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions. These equations can help predict and explain chaotic behavior in various systems, such as weather patterns and stock market fluctuations.