1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonuniformly Charged Semicircle

1. Sep 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A thin glass rod is a semicircle of radius R, see the figure. A charge is nonuniformly distributed along the rod with a linear charge density given by [tex]\lambda=\lambda_{0} + sin(\theta)[/tex], where [tex]\lambda_{0}[/tex] is a positive constant. Point P is at the center of the semicircle.

GIANCOLI.ch21.p50.jpg

Determine the acceleration (magnitude and direction) of an electron placed at point P, assuming R = 1.9 and [tex]\lambda_{0}[/tex] = 2.0 [tex]\mu C/m[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    Coulomb's Law [tex]F_{e}=kq_{1}q_{2}/r^{2}[/tex]
    Electric Field Equation [tex]E=F_{e}/q[/tex]
    Newton's 2nd Law

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted to use Newton's 2nd Law to solve this problem. I know the mass of an electron, and since gravity can be ignored, I knew that all I needed to do was to find the electric force on the electron to find the acceleration. I know the the force points straight up do to the positive charge above and the negative charge below, but I'm having trouble quanitfying the forces. I attempted to use Coulomb's Law by plugging in the charges for just one electron and proton, but I know that's not right. Please help!
    (Also, let me know if the image disappears, it should work out fine though...)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi saxyliz ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a lambda: λ and a mu: µ :wink:)
    Are you sure it isn't λ = λ0 times sinθ (that seems more consistent with the image)? :confused:

4. Sep 3, 2009 #3
    Re: Welcome to PF!

Oh yes sorry! It's times! Silly me!

5. Sep 3, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:rolleyes: :smile:
    ok, then … yes, the force will point up, so you only need the up-components.

But you must slice the semicircle into bits of length dθ, and plug in the charge for that. :smile:

6. Sep 3, 2009 #5
    So, dq = [tex]\lambda d \theta[/tex]? Then I plug that into Coulomb's Law to solve for dE, but how do I solve for the components?

To be more specific, what I get is:

[tex]dE=k\lambda d \theta /R^{2}[/tex]

Which is the same as

[tex]dE=k\lambda_{0} sin(\theta) d \theta /R^{2}[/tex]

Do I use a sector for the components? Like polar coordinates?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  7. Sep 3, 2009 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi saxyliz! :smile:

(what happened to that θ and λ i gave you? :confused:)
    No, dq = λ sin θ dθ.

For components, you use cos of the angle as usual … what is worrying you about that? :confused:

8. Sep 3, 2009 #7
    Sorry! I'm totally new to this and didn't get what you meant in the first place (about the θ, etc.)

Why isn't it λ_0 ? Wouldn't it be sin^2 then?

I think I get what you mean about the components, give me a second.

EDIT:
    I got it!! Thanks so much for your help!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook