1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal force on an inclined plane

1. Sep 25, 2006 #1
    A crate of mass m = 100 kg is pushed at constant speed up the frictionless ramp (theta= 27.0°) by a horizontal force F.
    What is the magnitude of the force exerted by the ramp on the crate?

My x-y coordinate system has x+ pointing up the ramp.

I assume that the force in question is the Normal force, which points directly along my positive y-axis.

No acceleration in the y direction (or x direction either, but that's irrelevent for this part of the problem), so
    [itex]\Sigma\\F_{y}=N-mg_{y}=N-mg\cos\theta=0[/itex]
    which gives [itex]N=mg\cos\theta=(100kg)(9.81m/s^2)(cos27^o)=874N[/itex]

But that's not the right answer... (and I don't know what the right answer is, either)

Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Constant velocity implies that the resulting force exerted on the crate has to equal zero. First write the equation of equilibrium for the assumed x-direction, to obtain the magnitude of the force F. Then write the equilibrium equation for the y-direction, to obtain the magnitude of the normal force N exerted on the crate from the ramp. Your mistake was that you did not include the pushing force F in your equation.

4. Sep 25, 2006 #3
    Got it; even after I tilted my coordinate system, I assumed that a horizontal force has no y-component. Bad thing.

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?