Normal force: two boxes with different mass?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving two boxes stacked on top of each other and the normal force between them. The individual is unsure about the correct application of Newton's laws and needs clarification on why the smaller mass on the bottom can support the larger mass on top. It is mentioned that the strength of the objects may also play a role in this scenario.
spenny23
I took a practice Ap Physics test today and did well, but there was a basic problem that hung me up: there are two boxes on the ground on top of each other. the top box's mass is 2m, and the bottom's is 1m. question: just looking at the bottoms box's normal force, does it equal the 2m box on top? I've learned Newton's laws but I am really rusty and i understand that if the boxes were switched around, the bottom box (now 2m) would have a normal force of 1mG. , enough to support the top box. but, given the original problem's circumstance, i don't believe that a lighter box on the bottom can apply a normal force to support the top box, without the ground's support: the 1m box on bottom does not have a normal force equal to the top box, 2m. this seems to conflict Newton's laws, so i need help realizing if I am on the right track or not with this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
spenny23 said:
I took a practice Ap Physics test today and did well, but there was a basic problem that hung me up: there are two boxes on the ground on top of each other. the top box's mass is 2m, and the bottom's is 1m. question: just looking at the bottoms box's normal force, does it equal the 2m box on top? I've learned Newton's laws but I am really rusty and i understand that if the boxes were switched around, the bottom box (now 2m) would have a normal force of 1mG. , enough to support the top box. but, given the original problem's circumstance, i don't believe that a lighter box on the bottom can apply a normal force to support the top box, without the ground's support: the 1m box on bottom does not have a normal force equal to the top box, 2m. this seems to conflict Newton's laws, so i need help realizing if I am on the right track or not with this problem.
Well you are a bit off track; Newtons laws and free body diagrams tell no lies when properly applied. So, with the 1m mass on bottom and the 2m mass on top, the normal force of the lower 1m mass on the upper 2m mass is?

PhanthomJay said:
Well you are a bit off track; Newtons laws and free body diagrams tell no lies when properly applied. So, with the 1m mass on bottom and the 2m mass on top, the normal force of the lower 1m mass on the upper 2m mass is?

the same. for some reason the rest of the test was pretty easy and this problem had other factors (constant velocity elevator, so no worries) that didnt affect the problem so i got all nervous and thought it was a exceptional case.

could you still explain exactly why the small mass on bottom still has 2mG of force to the top? my physics teacher is pretty bad and I've never dealt with normal force problems that involved more than one object (i.e rollercoaster on track. box on slope, etc)

spenny23 said:
could you still explain exactly why the small mass on bottom still has 2mG of force to the top? my physics teacher is pretty bad and I've never dealt with normal force problems that involved more than one object (i.e rollercoaster on track. box on slope, etc)
The masses are at rest so Newtons first law applies. Draw a free body diagram of the top mass alone, assuming you are familiar with free body diagrams, which is a necessity. When you do this, you look at all the forces acting on the top mass . The weight of the top mass acts down, and the normal force of the bottom mass on the top mass acts up. So Newtons 1st law tells you that if 2mg weight acts down, then the normal force on the top block from the bottom block is how much? Don't say the same, give me a number

spenny23 said:
Yes, 2mg. And when the blocks are reversed, the normal force between the two becomes 1mg.

You are wondering how the 1 m mass when on the bottom can support the 2m mass without issue, and with a force of 2mg. Well, maybe it can't if it is not made of suitable material strong enough to withstand the force without crushing, and even with the heavier mass on the bottom, maybe it can't support the lighter mass either if say the heavy mass was a box with a top surface made of thin paper. This is a strength issue and a separate topic, so assume in these problems that the objects are rather rigid regardless of their mass.

What is normal force?

Normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and acts in the opposite direction of the force applied by the object on the surface.

How does normal force change with different mass?

Normal force is directly proportional to the mass of an object. This means that as the mass of an object increases, the normal force also increases. This is because the weight of the object increases, causing it to apply a greater force on the surface, and in turn, the surface exerts a greater normal force to support the object.

Why do two boxes with different mass have different normal forces?

As mentioned before, normal force is directly proportional to mass. Therefore, two objects with different masses will experience different normal forces when placed on the same surface. The box with a greater mass will experience a greater normal force, while the box with a smaller mass will experience a smaller normal force.

Does normal force affect the motion of the objects?

Normal force is a contact force, meaning it only exists when two objects are in contact with each other. It does not affect the motion of the objects, but rather acts as a supporting force to prevent the objects from passing through each other.

How is normal force related to the surface's characteristics?

The normal force is dependent on the characteristics of the surface, such as its material and how it is angled. A smoother surface will exert a greater normal force than a rougher surface, as the contact area between the objects is larger. Additionally, a surface that is angled will exert a normal force that is perpendicular to the angled surface, rather than directly upwards.