Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal Self-Product Distribution

1. Jan 8, 2009 #1
    Hi all,

I am trying to evaluate the distribution of a normal distribution producted with itself. On http://mathworld.wolfram.com/NormalProductDistribution.html there is a page about the product distribution in the case of two normals distributions of different standard deviations but the same mean of zero.

I was hoping someone had derived the normal self-product distribution in the case of a mean not equal to zero and a standard deviation not equal to zero. Does anyone know how to do this or where I should look?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2009 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any normally distributed random variable can be expressed in terms of a standard normal random variable; does that help?
  4. Jan 8, 2009 #3
    It might do... do you have an equation of how to express a general normal distribution in terms of the standard normal distribution?
  5. Jan 8, 2009 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If P is a distribution with mean [itex]\mu[/itex] and standard deviation [itex]\sigma[/itex], then [itex]z= (x- \mu)/\sigma[/itex] has the standard normal distribution.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?