Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separating the product of two probability distributions

1. May 23, 2012 #1
    In general, how does one separate the product of two probability distributions with one of them known? Basically, I have the distribution of rcosθ, I know that P(cosθ) = 2/(πsinθ), and I want to find P(r). Wolfram Alpha makes me think that a delta function is involved based on what they say about uniform product distributions and normal product distributions, but I wouldn't know how to solve it in this case.

Here are the URLs to Wolfram Alpha's things. I can't include links until I make 10 posts apparently.
    mathworld.wolfram.com/UniformProductDistribution.html
    mathworld.wolfram.com/NormalProductDistribution.html

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Assuming r and θ are independent, you can set it up as follows (admittedly sketchy):

Let w = rcosθ, then P(r < R|cosθ) = P(w<Rcosθ|cosθ). Integrate over the distribution of θ.

4. May 24, 2012 #3
    What should I be integrating? And what will it tell me? Assuming the distributions are over [0,1], are you saying something like [itex]P(w) = \int_0^1 P(w<Rcosθ|cosθ) d(cosθ)[/itex]?

5. May 24, 2012 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

After integration you will end up with P(r<R).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook