1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal subgroup of prime order in the center

1. Oct 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let H be a normal subgroup of prime order p in a finite group G. Suppose that p is the smallest prime dividing |G|. Prove that H is in the center Z(G).

2. Relevant equations

the Class Equation?
    Sylow theorems are in the next section, so presumably this is to be done without them.

3. The attempt at a solution

Not completely sure of a solution, but here's (at least some of) what we know:

1. Since H is normal, [tex]ghg^{-1} \in H[/tex].
    2. Since [tex]|H|[/tex] is prime, [tex]H[/tex] is cyclic and abelian.
    3. [tex]G[/tex] is finite, with order [tex]|G| = p^nq[/tex].
    4. The normalizer [tex]N(H)[/tex] (stabilizer under conjugation) is all of [tex]G[/tex]...
    5. ...so [tex]|G| = |N(H)|[/tex] ??
    6. Probably some more relevant properties.

And we want to show that [tex]H \subseteq Z(G)[/tex], i.e. [tex]H \subseteq \{g \in G | gx = xg \forall x \in G\}[/tex]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2007 #2
    So would these things imply that H = G is cyclic, thus abelian and is the center?

4. Oct 25, 2007 #3
    Well, from the facts you've given, since H has prime order, it's cyclic, and every cyclic group is abelian. Now since H is normal, like you've also shown we have

[tex]ghg^{-1} \in H[/tex]

It can quite easily be shown that this is true if

[tex] \forall g \in G[/tex] [tex] \forall h \in H, gh \in Hg[/tex]

that is, [tex] \exists h' \in H[/tex] such that

[tex] gh = h'g[/tex]

but H is abelian so...make some conclusion.

Since this holds for every member of H when applied to every member of G, the result follows

5. Oct 25, 2007 #4
    I misinterpreted the problem. i was thinking of G acting on H, as a subgroup, and not of G acting on H element-wise, by just permuting the elements around in H.

this means if H was not in Z(G), then its orbit would have order 2,...,p-1, none of which divide |H| and |G| since p is prime and it's the least prime that divides |G|.

i believe this does it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?