Normal Subgroups intersection = <e>

In summary, we are trying to show that hk = kh for all h ∈ H and k ∈ K, where H and K are normal subgroups of G with an intersection of the identity element. To prove this, we can use the fact that H and K are normal, so ghg^-1 is in H and gkg^-1 is in K. We want to show that these two expressions are equal, which would prove that hk = kh. To do this, we can use the commutator [h,k] = hkh^-1k^-1 and show that if the commutator is equal to the identity element, then h and k commute. We can also write hk = k1h for some k1
kathrynag
Let H and K be normal subgroups of G such that H intersect K=<e>. Show that hk=kh for all h in H and k in K.
H and K are normal so ghg^-1 is in H and gkg^-1 is in K.
want to show hk=kh. So basically I'm showing this is abelian.
Can I do ghg^-1=gkg^-1?
ghg^-1g=gkg^-1g
gh=gk
so that works if g=h

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]h\in\ H[/itex] with [itex]h\neq e[/itex], and let [itex]k\in\ K[/itex] with [itex]k\neq e[/itex].

Then what can you say about [itex]khk^{-1}[/itex]?

kathrynag said:
Let H and K be normal subgroups of G such that H intersect K=<e>. Show that hk=kh for all h in H and k in K.
H and K are normal so ghg^-1 is in H and gkg^-1 is in K.
want to show hk=kh. So basically I'm showing this is abelian.
Can I do ghg^-1=gkg^-1?
ghg^-1g=gkg^-1g
gh=gk
so that works if g=h

Hi kathrynag! :smile:

I don't see how what you did could be correct.

When showing commutativity it is often useful to look at the commutator.
The commutator of h and k is [h,k]=hkh-1k-1.
If the commutator of h and k is equal to e, than h and k commute (why?).

Suppose you write hk=k1h, which should be true for some k1 in K.
What do you get?

Oh, I just noticed that this is a pretty old thread.
I suspect that the OP is not interested in the answer anymore. :wink:

What is a normal subgroup?

A normal subgroup is a subgroup of a group that is stable under conjugation, meaning that it remains unchanged when its elements are conjugated by any element of the larger group.

What does it mean for the intersection of normal subgroups to be ?

This means that the only element that is in common between the normal subgroups is the identity element, . In other words, there are no other shared elements between the subgroups.

Why is the intersection of normal subgroups being important?

This is important because it allows for the subgroups to be combined in a specific way to form a new group. This new group, called the quotient group, is created by taking the original group and dividing out by the normal subgroups.

How can the intersection of normal subgroups be used in group theory?

The intersection of normal subgroups is a key concept in group theory and is used to define and analyze important properties of groups, such as normality, quotient groups, and solvability.

Are there any real-life applications of normal subgroup intersection = ?

Yes, normal subgroup intersection = has applications in cryptography, chemistry, and physics. In cryptography, normal subgroups can be used to create secure encryption methods. In chemistry, normal subgroups are used to study molecular symmetry. In physics, normal subgroups are used to understand and describe the symmetries of quantum systems.