1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modern Algebra unified subgroup question

1. Sep 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If H and K are subgroups of G, show HUK is a subgroup of G if and only if H < K or K < H ( the < meaning that all the elements of H are in K or all the elements of K are in H).

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe the problem here is HUK might not be a closed group. Certainly all the elements of HUK are also in G.

If all the elements of H are in K, then hk is an element of HUK for all h,k.

If the intersection of H and K does not equal H or K, that means that hk may not be in HUK as it is not closed.

These are my thoughts so far. Am I on the right track here? How do I start turning this into a proof?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you are on the right track. Suppose h is not an element of K and k is not an element of H. Can you show hk is not an element of H or K? Use proof by contradiction.

4. Oct 1, 2014 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is a nice, helpful result that a subset H of a group G is a subgroup of G if for any a,b in H, ## ab^{-1}## is in H.
    Now if a,b are either both in A or both in B, no problem, but consider what happens when a is in H and b is in K-H ( of course then we show we must have H subset K ).

5. Oct 4, 2014 #4
    h is not an element of K and k is not an element of H. Then hk being an element of HUK is a contradiction because.. i'm lost >.<

6. Oct 4, 2014 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose hk is an element of K. Say hk=k'. Solve for h and think about it.

7. Oct 4, 2014 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, notice that subgroups are closed under the group operation. Let a in H, let b be in K-H and

## ab:=c \in H ## . Then ##b= a^{-1} c ## , so that b is the product of elements of H, and the product of

elements in H must be in H.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted