Modern Algebra unified subgroup question

In summary: So we have shown that## b \in H \Rightarrow b \in K \Rightarrow H \subset K ##.I'm sorry, I think there may have been an error with the initial conversation. The topic of the conversation does not seem to match the content. Can you please provide the correct conversation for me to summarize?
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

If H and K are subgroups of G, show HUK is a subgroup of G if and only if H < K or K < H ( the < meaning that all the elements of H are in K or all the elements of K are in H).

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the problem here is HUK might not be a closed group. Certainly all the elements of HUK are also in G.

If all the elements of H are in K, then hk is an element of HUK for all h,k.

If the intersection of H and K does not equal H or K, that means that hk may not be in HUK as it is not closed.

These are my thoughts so far. Am I on the right track here? How do I start turning this into a proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are on the right track. Suppose h is not an element of K and k is not an element of H. Can you show hk is not an element of H or K? Use proof by contradiction.

Likes PsychonautQQ
There is a nice, helpful result that a subset H of a group G is a subgroup of G if for any a,b in H, ## ab^{-1}## is in H.
Now if a,b are either both in A or both in B, no problem, but consider what happens when a is in H and b is in K-H ( of course then we show we must have H subset K ).

Likes PsychonautQQ
h is not an element of K and k is not an element of H. Then hk being an element of HUK is a contradiction because.. I'm lost >.<

PsychonautQQ said:
h is not an element of K and k is not an element of H. Then hk being an element of HUK is a contradiction because.. I'm lost >.<

Suppose hk is an element of K. Say hk=k'. Solve for h and think about it.

Well, notice that subgroups are closed under the group operation. Let a in H, let b be in K-H and

## ab:=c \in H ## . Then ##b= a^{-1} c ## , so that b is the product of elements of H, and the product of

elements in H must be in H.

1. What is "Modern Algebra unified subgroup question"?

"Modern Algebra unified subgroup question" refers to a type of mathematical problem that involves the study of groups, subgroups, and their relationships within the context of abstract algebra. It seeks to understand the structure and properties of groups and subgroups, and how they can be unified and related to each other.

2. Why is the study of subgroups important in modern algebra?

Subgroups play a crucial role in modern algebra because they allow for the classification and organization of groups based on their properties. They also provide a way to break down complex groups into smaller, more manageable pieces for analysis and understanding.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve modern algebra unified subgroup questions?

Some common techniques used to solve modern algebra unified subgroup questions include the use of group homomorphisms, isomorphisms, and theorems such as Lagrange's Theorem and the Fundamental Theorem of Homomorphisms. Other techniques involve using subgroup lattices and group presentations.

4. How does the study of modern algebra unified subgroup questions relate to other areas of mathematics?

The study of modern algebra unified subgroup questions has connections to many other areas of mathematics, such as number theory, geometry, and topology. It also has important applications in fields such as cryptography and coding theory.

5. What are some real-world applications of modern algebra unified subgroup questions?

Modern algebra unified subgroup questions have practical applications in many areas, including computer science, physics, and chemistry. For example, group theory is used in cryptography to develop secure encryption algorithms, and in chemistry to understand the symmetry and bonding of molecules. It also has applications in physics, particularly in the study of particle physics and symmetries of physical laws.