Normalisation of Schrodinger Eq.

And, yeah, the fact that H is Hermitian is ultimately what makes E real, for the stationary states. But, like you said, you have to do some more work to prove the Schrödinger equation preserves normalization in the general case.)In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the Schrödinger equation preserves normalization over time. It mentions using the integral of the wave function and its derivative to prove this, and suggests using the unitary operator H for the general case. The conversation also includes a helpful tip of trying what you know and connecting it to what you're trying to do. Ultimately, the proof relies on the fact that the Schrödinger equation is Hermitian
Shredface

Homework Statement

Suppose you assume that you have normalised a wave function at t = 0. How do you know that it will stay normalised as time goes on? Show explicitly that the Schrodinger equation has the property that it preserves normalistion over time.

Homework Equations

From my notes I have deduced:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \left| \Psi\left(x,t\right)\right|^2 dx = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \left| \Psi\left(x,t\right)\right|^2 dx = 0[/tex]

However I have failed to come up with a solution.

EDIT: Should I rearrange the Schrodinger equation for d/dt of psi then solve that way? I'm confused.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shredface said:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \left| \Psi\left(x,t\right)\right|^2[/tex]
You know how to compute derivatives, right?

(bra-ket notation might be easier, though... no sense in using integrals when you can just do algebra!)

The schrödinger equation

[tex]i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \Psi (x,t) = E\Psi (x,t)[/tex]

suggest that you can write the time-evolution of a state according to:

[tex] \Psi(x,t) = \psi(x) e^{-i{E t\, \hbar}}[/tex]

Now, what will this give you?

(this is the way I was taught how to show that [itex]
\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \left| \Psi\left(x,t\right)\right|^2 dx = [/itex] is constant over time. )

So I get: [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \left|\Psi\right|^2 = \Psi \frac{\partial \Psi^*}{\partial t} + \Psi^* \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t}[/tex]
What should I use for my wave function? [tex]\Psi\left(x,t\right) = Ae^{i(kx-wt)/\hbar}[/tex] ?

Shredface said:
What should I use for my wave function?
What's wrong with just calling it [itex]\Psi[/itex], and working with it symbolically?

Although... you could prove the theorem first for stationary states, as malawi_glenn is implicitly suggesting...

Shredface said:
[tex]\frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t}[/tex]
Don't you know something about that? ...

[tex]
\frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t}
[/tex]

hint: The Schrödinger equation.

And for [tex]
\frac{\partial \Psi^*}{\partial t}
[/tex]

The complex conjugate of the schrödinger equation.

How's this...

[tex]E \Psi(x,t) = i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \Psi(x,t), \Rightarrow E \Psi^*(x,t) = -i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \Psi^*(x,t)[/tex]

Giving:

[tex]\frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t} = -\frac{iE}{\hbar} \Psi(x,t)[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial \Psi^*}{\partial t} = \frac{iE}{\hbar} \Psi^*(x,t)[/tex]

So:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} |\Psi|^2 = |\Psi|^2 (\frac{iE}{\hbar} - \frac{iE}{\hbar}) = 0[/tex]

Is this making sense?

yes, very good! Recall that this is possible since E is real.

So the integral of zero is zero thus proving the initial statement. Yay!

Cheers for the help guys, all seems so easy now!

Shredface said:
So the integral of zero is zero thus proving the initial statement. Yay!
But only in the case of stationary states! You still have to do some more work for an arbitrary solution to the Schrödinger equation.

Fortunately, it's not much work, since the general case features the unitary operator H rather than the real number E. Fortunately, unitary operators share enough of the properties of real numbers that the proof works out pretty much unchanged.

Incidentally, I think the main lesson here is when you don't know what you're supposed to do, instead try what you know how to do. You know how to take derivatives, you know to use the Schrödinger equation to compute time derivatives of quantum states -- you just had to try and string them along together. A great many problems can be solved this way: just do what you can and eventually you get to a point where you can see how to connect what you can do to what you're trying to do, and then you've done it!

(Special cases can help too -- e.g. trying stationary states first because it's simpler)

Is H unitary? I thought one use the fact that since [tex]H^{\dagger}=H[/tex], i.e hermitian, the energy eigenvaules E are real.

But Hurkyl has correct that using that E is real still only proves the stationary case.

What the real proof is about is that [tex]H^{\dagger}=H[/tex], the Schrödinger equation is
[tex]
H\Psi(x,t) = i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \Psi(x,t)
[/tex]

And the complex conjugated will use [tex]H^{\dagger}[/tex]

I agree on Hurkyl's advice, don't think TOO much, use what you know and see if it works.

Last edited:
malawi_glenn said:
Is H unitary? I thought one use the fact that since [tex]H^{\dagger}=H[/tex], i.e hermitian, the energy eigenvaules E are real.
Bleh, that's what I meant. Thanks for the correction!

What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a quantum system over time. It is used to determine the probability of finding a particle at a certain location at a certain time.

What does normalisation of the Schrodinger equation mean?

Normalisation of the Schrodinger equation refers to the process of ensuring that the total probability of finding a particle in all possible locations is equal to 1. This allows for the accurate prediction of the particle's behavior over time.

Why is normalisation important in quantum mechanics?

Normalisation is important in quantum mechanics because it ensures that the probabilities calculated by the Schrodinger equation are physically meaningful and can be compared to experimental results. It also allows for the correct interpretation and application of quantum mechanics principles.

How is the Schrodinger equation normalised?

The Schrodinger equation is normalised by dividing the wavefunction (which describes the state of a quantum system) by a normalization factor, which is calculated by integrating the square of the wavefunction over all possible locations. This ensures that the total probability of finding the particle is equal to 1.

What happens if the Schrodinger equation is not normalised?

If the Schrodinger equation is not normalised, the probabilities calculated may not accurately reflect the behavior of the quantum system. This can lead to incorrect predictions and interpretations of experimental results. Additionally, a non-normalized wavefunction violates the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.