1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalization of a symmetric wavefunction

1. Jun 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find the normalization constant [itex]N_{S}[/itex] of a symmetric wavefunction

[itex]ψ(x_{1},x_{2}) = N_{S}[ψ_{a}(x_{1})ψ_{b}(x_{2}) + ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1})][/itex]

assuming that the normalization of the individual wavefunctions [itex]ψ_{a}(x_{1})ψ_{b}(x_{2}), ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1})[/itex] are both just 1 and not orthogonal.

2. Relevant equations

For a symmetric wavefunction [itex]ψ_{a}(x_{1})ψ_{b}(x_{2}) = ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1})[/itex]

3. Attempt at solution

I do the normalization and get [itex]N_{S}^2∫_{-∞}^{∞} 2 {|ψ_{a}(x_{1})ψ_{b}(x_{2})|}^{2} + ψ*_{a}(x_{1})ψ*_{b}(x_{2})ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1}) + ψ*_{a}(x_{2})ψ*_{b}(x_{1})ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1})dx_{1}dx_{2}=1[/itex]

Now, since the wavefunctions are symmetric, [itex]ψ*_{a}(x_{1})ψ*_{b}(x_{2})ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1}) = ψ*_{a}(x_{2})ψ*_{b}(x_{1})ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1})[/itex]

Since the answer is supposed to be [itex]N_{S}=1/\sqrt{2}[/itex], I'm guessing that [itex]ψ*_{a}(x_{1})ψ*_{b}(x_{2})ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1}) = 0[/itex], but I don't know why this would be.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2013 #2
    Well, you might have saved yourself some work by just applying the equality at the beginning, I think.

[itex]ψ(x_{1},x_{2}) = N_{S}[ψ_{a}(x_{1})ψ_{b}(x_{2}) + ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1})][/itex]
    [itex]ψ_{a}(x_{1})ψ_{b}(x_{2}) = ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1})[/itex]
    [itex]ψ(x_{1},x_{2}) = 2N_{S}ψ_{a}(x_{1})ψ_{b}(x_{2})[/itex]

But in case you were wondering what to do with your later expression

[itex]\left(a^* + b^*\right)\left(a + b\right) = a^*a +b^*b + a^*b + ab^*[/itex]

[itex]= |a|^2 + |b|^2 + (a^*b) + (a^*b)^*[/itex]
    Adding a number to its complex conjugate eliminates the imaginary component and doubles the real component.
    [itex]= |a|^2 + |b|^2 + 2Re\left\{a^*b \right\}[/itex]

Consider what happens when [itex]a = b[/itex].

Edit: perhaps I'm missing something though

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  4. Jun 2, 2013 #3
    But if I do this and try to normalize it, won't I get

[itex]N_{S}^2∫_{-∞}^{∞}4|ψ_{a}(x_{1})ψ_{b}(x_{2})|^2 dx_{1}dx_{2}[/itex]

which gets me [itex]N_{S}=1/2[/itex]

[itex]2Re(a*b) = 2|a|^2, 2|b|^2[/itex] and then overall I would get [itex]4|a|^2[/itex] or [itex]4|b|^2[/itex], which again gives me [itex]N_{S}=1/2[/itex], but I need [itex]N_{S} = 1/ \sqrt{2}[/itex] so I'm not really sure what to do

5. Jun 2, 2013 #4
    Perhaps I replied without sufficient knowledge. It might be that the number of states has been halved (identical particles).

6. Jun 2, 2013 #5
    This is the wavefunction for two identical particles, specifically bosons. The wave function is required to satisfy the symmetry equation you stated. To solve, we have [itex] |N_{S}|^2∫[ψ_{a}(x_{1})ψ_{b}(x_{2}) + ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1})]^{*}[ψ_{a}(x_{1})ψ_{b}(x_{2}) + ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1})]dx_{1}dx_{2}=1 [/itex]. Expand this equation out carefully. It is always possible to orthonormalize using Gram-Schmidt so that [itex]∫|ψ_{a}(x_{1})^2|=1 [/itex] and [itex] ∫ψ_{a}(x_{1})^{*}ψ_{b}(x_{1})=0 [/itex]. This should give you [itex] N_{S} = 1/√2 [/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted