Normalization of ψ(x,0) - Can you tell me if my solution is correct?

  • Thread starter Thread starter S_Flaherty
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Normalization
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
S_Flaherty
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
We are given ψ(x,0) = A[ψ1(x)+ψ2(x)] and for the first part of my homework problem it asks us to normalize ψ(x,0) (it says find A).

What I did was ∫|ψ(x,0)|^2 dx = 1 = (|A|^2)∫(ψ1^2 + 2ψ1ψ2 + ψ2^2)dx and since
∫ψm(x)*ψn(x)dx = 0 when m≠n and it equals 1 when m=n I can make the integral equal to
(A^2)(1 + 2(0) + 1) = 1 so A^2 = 1/2, so A = 1/4.

Did I solve this correctly or did I completely misunderstand what I was doing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
S_Flaherty said:
We are given ψ(x,0) = A[ψ1(x)+ψ2(x)] and for the first part of my homework problem it asks us to normalize ψ(x,0) (it says find A).

What I did was ∫|ψ(x,0)|^2 dx = 1 = (|A|^2)∫(ψ1^2 + 2ψ1ψ2 + ψ2^2)dx and since
∫ψm(x)*ψn(x)dx = 0 when m≠n and it equals 1 when m=n I can make the integral equal to
(A^2)(1 + 2(0) + 1) = 1 so A^2 = 1/2, so A = 1/4.

Did I solve this correctly or did I completely misunderstand what I was doing?

No.

It's correct up to [itex]\displaystyle {\text{A}\!^2}= \frac{1}{2}\ .[/itex]

How do you solve for A after that?
 
SammyS said:
No.

It's correct up to [itex]\displaystyle {\text{A}\!^2}= \frac{1}{2}\ .[/itex]

How do you solve for A after that?

I just did the math wrong, I got A = 0.7071.