Normalizing a 4x4 matrix with unknown functions as elements

In summary, the conversation is about finding the normalization constant of a 4x4 matrix. The person is confused about which method to use, either using the sum of squares or finding the determinant. They are also unsure about the correct formula, as they are getting different results. They ask for help and someone suggests conjugating the matrix with a specific matrix to find the eigenvalues.
fruity_water
Hi All!

This is my first time putting up my own thread on MF. I can usually find what I'm looking for, but this time: no go.

As the title says, I'm trying to find the normalization constant of this 4x4 matrix (g and f are functions):
(1-g^2) 0 0 0
0 (1+f^2) (-g^2-f^2) 0
0 (-g^2-f^2) (1+f^2) 0
0 0 0 (1-g^2)

It's a matrix that's in a research paper which gives the normalization constant as: N=4-2g^2+2f^2.

1]I've been looking up online and found that N can be found with: N=\sqrt{\sum{X^2}} where X represents the elements of the matrix.

2]I also found somewhere which said that I need to find the determinant.

I'm not sure who's right, but I'm not getting what's in the paper.
For method [1] I'm getting as far as: N^2 = 4(1+f^4+f^2g^2+f^2) and got stuck trying to find the square root (it's been a while since I've done multinomial theorem). So I backtracked to see if their N^2 matches my N^2. But their N^2=16+4g^4+4f^4+16g^2-8g^2f^2+16f^2.
and method [2] is giving me something so long, with so many variables of (g^2), (f^2), (g^4), (f^4),(g^2f^4) (and it keeps going for about 3tysomething variables) that I've given up.

So I'm wrong all over the place.

Can someone help me out?

fruity_water confused

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure which normalization you are looking for, there are various normal forms. An easy first step is to conjugate the matrix with the matrix ##\begin{bmatrix}1&0&0&0\\0&1&1&0\\0&0&1&0\\0&0&0&1\end{bmatrix}## and get
$$
\begin{bmatrix}1&0&0&0\\0&1&1&0\\0&0&1&0\\0&0&0&1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1-g^2&0&0&0\\0&1+f^2&-g^2-f^2&0\\0&-g^2-f^2&1+f^2&0\\0&0&0&1-g^2\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1&0&0&0\\0&1&-1&0\\0&0&1&0\\0&0&0&1\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}1-g^2&0&0&0\\0&1-g^2&0&0\\0&-g^2-f^2&1+g^2+2f^2&0\\0&0&0&1-g^2\\&&&\end{bmatrix}
$$
which is a lower triangular matrix. It allows you to directly see the eigenvalues.

1. What is the purpose of normalizing a 4x4 matrix with unknown functions as elements?

Normalizing a matrix means to scale its elements so that the sum of all elements equals 1. This is useful when working with unknown functions as elements because it allows for easier comparison and analysis of the data.

2. How is normalization different from standardization?

Normalization and standardization are both methods of scaling data, but they differ in their approach. Normalization scales the elements to have a sum of 1, while standardization scales the elements to have a mean of 0 and a standard deviation of 1.

3. Can all 4x4 matrices with unknown functions as elements be normalized?

Yes, all matrices with unknown functions as elements can be normalized. However, the resulting normalized matrix may not always have meaningful interpretations, as it depends on the nature of the unknown functions.

4. What are the benefits of normalizing a 4x4 matrix with unknown functions as elements?

Normalizing a matrix can help to reduce the impact of outliers and make comparisons between matrices easier. It can also make the data more visually appealing and easier to interpret.

5. What are some potential challenges when normalizing a 4x4 matrix with unknown functions as elements?

One potential challenge is determining the appropriate scaling factor for the normalization, as it may vary depending on the specific data and functions involved. Another challenge could be interpreting the normalized data, as it may not always have clear or meaningful interpretations.