1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalizing a wave function

1. Jan 20, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "assume that the three real functions ψ1,ψ2, and ψ3 are normalized and orthogonal. Normalize the following function"

ψ1 - ψ21/(sqrt2) + ψ3sqrt(3)/sqrt(6)

2. Relevant equations
    This is for a physical chemistry class. I haven't seen an example like this. All that is in our textbook is that integral[ /ψ/2dT] needs to equal 1 which is accomplished by adjusting N so N2 Integral[ /ψ/2dx] =1

3. The attempt at a solution
    Is this correct? What range do I integrate it over? no x values are given.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2017 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Is what correct? You haven't shown any work.

The readability of your post would improve if you use LaTeX. Here's a primer: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/.

4. Jan 20, 2017 #3
    I don't know why all my subscripts disappeared.

ψ1 - ψ2 1/(sqrt6) + ψ3 sqrt(3)/sqrt(6)

In the book it says that to normalize a function you need to adjust N so that
    N2 Integral [/ψ/2 dx] =1

I don't know how I'd apply that to this question

5. Jan 20, 2017 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

In this problem, you have ##\psi(x) = N\left(\psi_1 - \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}} \psi_2 + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{6}}\psi_3\right)##. (Are you sure about that state? It's written a bit strangely, i.e., ##\sqrt{3}/\sqrt{6} = 1/\sqrt{2}##.)

6. Jan 20, 2017 #5
    That's how it's written in the book.

Since x isn't in the function
    That's just how it's written. So when I integrate that with respect to x i get N(ψ1 - ψ2 1/(sqrt6) + ψ3 sqrt(3)/sqrt(6))x +C
    Did I integrate that correctly? And if so what do I do from here?

7. Jan 20, 2017 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Remember that ##\psi_1##, ##\psi_2##, and ##\psi_3## are functions of ##x##. You said the normalization condition is
    $$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \psi^2\,dx = 1.$$ You want to substitute the expression you're given for ##\psi## and evaluate the integral.

Think about what it means when you're told that the ##\psi_i##'s are normalized and orthogonal to each other.

8. Jan 20, 2017 #7
    Ohhh! I did it as an indefinite integral. So, just to clarify, I need to plug in the whole original equation in to the integral?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted