How do you integrate integrate ψ1(x)?

• Thread starter maxbye3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the goal of normalization is to determine that "A" and that can be accomplished through taking the integral of square (A(ψ1(x) + ψ2(x)) between 0 and a and equate it to 1) as you stated. I don't think you would need to break them, you can do the integration as the following:integral(from 0 to a) [of] : square(A(ψ1(x) + ψ2(x)) dx// ;square(A(ψ1(x) + ψ2(x)) = A^2(ψ1(x))^2 + A^2(
maxbye3

Homework Statement

Normalise Ψ(x,0) (use the fact that both ψ1 and ψ2 are stationary states).
Will this wave function be normalised at any later time, t > 0?

Homework Equations

A particle in an infinite square well of width a has as its initial wave function an even mixture of the first two stationary states,
Ψ(x, 0) = A(ψ1(x) + ψ2(x)) .

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the concept of normalisation I would integrate the square of A(ψ1(x) + ψ2(x)) between 0 and a and equate it to 1.
I am confused how to integrate ψ1(x) or ψ2(x) i.e. is it as simple as (ψ1(x)*x)/2?
Perhaps I can say ψ1(x) = the time-independent Schr ̈odinger equation for the infinite square well un=(2/L)^0.5sin(nx/L)

Anyway any help would be deeply appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope i will be helpful (but don't completely count on what I am going to say)..

well, the whole idea of normalization is to determine that "A" ,and that can be accomplished through taking the integral of square (A(ψ1(x) + ψ2(x)) between 0 and a and equate it to 1) as you stated .. I don't think you would need to break them , you can do the integration as the following:

integral(from 0 to a) [of] : square(A(ψ1(x) + ψ2(x)) dx

// ;square(A(ψ1(x) + ψ2(x)) = A^2(ψ1(x))^2 + A^2(ψ2(x))^2 + 2A^2 ψ1(x)ψ2(x)

taking the integral(from 0 to a) [of] A^2(ψ1(x))^2 dx = A^2 integral((ψ1(x))^2 dx , since the integral of ((ψ1(x))^2 dx =1 , then the first term is A^2

doing the same thing with the second term you will also get A^2

the third term as can be seen is an integral of both integral ψ1(x)ψ2(x) , this one will give zero (why?) you can verify this by making use of orthognality ..

so finally you will end up with : A^2 +A^2 =1 >> 2A^2=1 >> A^2=1/2 >> A=sqrt(1/2)..

then the normalised function : sqrt(1/2)*(ψ1(x) + ψ2(x))

hopefully , this answers the part of the question which asks to normalize Ψ(x,0) .. :)

maxbye3 said:
I am confused how to integrate ψ1(x) or ψ2(x) i.e. is it as simple as (ψ1(x)*x)/2?
How did you come up with that? What do you get when you square [itex]\psi[/itex]?

1. How do you define ψ1(x)?

ψ1(x) is a mathematical function that represents the wave function of a quantum mechanical system. It is used to describe the probability amplitude of finding a particle at a certain position x.

2. What is the purpose of integrating ψ1(x)?

The purpose of integrating ψ1(x) is to calculate the total probability of finding a particle within a certain region of space. This is important in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and predicting their outcomes.

3. What are the steps involved in integrating ψ1(x)?

The first step is to determine the limits of integration, which define the region of space over which the probability is to be calculated. Then, the ψ1(x) function is multiplied by its complex conjugate, and the resulting expression is integrated with respect to the variable of integration (usually x). The final step is to evaluate the integral and interpret the result in terms of the probability of finding the particle in the specified region.

4. Are there any special techniques for integrating ψ1(x)?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be used to integrate ψ1(x) depending on the complexity of the function. These include substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitutions. It is important to choose the most appropriate technique based on the specific form of ψ1(x) to simplify the integration process.

5. Can the integration of ψ1(x) be applied to other wave functions?

Yes, the integration process can be applied to any wave function to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific region of space. However, the specific steps and techniques used may vary depending on the form of the wave function, so it is important to carefully consider the appropriate approach for each individual case.